New pork safe temperature?

jalon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Food Network Magazine (Oct. 2011) has a note on page 38, and it states:

"Good news for pork eaters: the USDA is lowering the recommended safe-cooking temperature for whole cuts of pork from 160 F to 145 F and adding a three-minute rest time, meaning pork chops can safely be served on the pink side. It may still be pink, but it is safe to eat, the USDA says."

Whatcha all think? I think 145 F might still be a little low, but I think I might be ok with 150-155 F. I like my food juicy, anything that isn't cooked to death and is still safe is a good thing.

Jalon

Yeah, they finally realized what many of us already figured out....pork chops at 160-165 suck. They're tough and dry. Pulled off the heat at 140 and served at 145....pink, juicy, flavorful.....GOOD EATS!

I was always worried too, though. When I saw the UDSA notice this spring I was a bit relieved to be honest. I've always been paranoid. I think Mom did that to me.:roll:

I pull my loins off between the 140-145* mark & let it rest a few before carving.

Yummy!!!

Yeah, they finally realized what many of us already figured out....pork chops at 160-165 suck. They're tough and dry. Pulled off the heat at 140 and served at 145....pink, juicy, flavorful.....GOOD EATS!

I was always worried too, though. When I saw the UDSA notice this spring I was a bit relieved to be honest. I've always been paranoid. I think Mom did that to me.:roll:

You and me both brother. It has taken me a little bit to get past the pink on pork but once I got my head around the "it is not the color but the temperature" I now go completely by that. That really goes for everything I make now. Out of all the gadgets I have the one I like the most is my Haldron Collider White Thermapen.

My Mom on the other hand would still not eat a pink protein. Doesn't matter what it is, it has to be well done.

Pulled at 145. I'm still here -- didn't even get sick.

picture.php

CD

From my research, the 160 mark that they used to recommend was needed a century ago, when most pigs were raised and slaughtered on small family-owned farms with no inspections or regulations and questionable sanitary practices. Pork has been safe to eat at about 140 for many years, the USDA is just FINALLY catching up.

I did a loin last week and pulled it at 135° and rested it for 30 minutes and it was fantastic.

Because all modern store bought pork is frozen at some point and freezing kills trichinosis bugs. (nematodes)

Because all modern store bought pork is frozen at some point and freezing kills trichinosis bugs. (nematodes)

Trichinosis is the reason behind the higher cooking temp you are correct. A nasty little creature that lives in the muscles of the infected animal. The source of the trichinosis that infects the animals comes from contaminated soil. There really is no way to treat infected soil as the nematode can live for years witout a host.

What the USDA realized finally is that comercial pork has never set foot on dirt. It's concrete and steel from conception to slaughter unless your buying hogs from a local farmer. Commercial pork does not have the opportunity to become infected, this was an issue for the 1960's, not today.

Spent the majority of my wroking career managing corporate hog farms.

Trichinosis is killed at 138 degrees. Hence, 145 degrees is perfectly safe.
The majority of Trichinosis infections today come from wild game- particularly wild bear.
Bear are a member of the porcine(pork) family genetically.

140 for me, and lower is fine here.
Lived in countries that have different rules and ate what they ate.(within reason)
Never an ill effect, I figured with their population being bigger and their culture being WAY older, they must have it right.

Food Network Magazine (Oct. 2011) has a note on page 38, and it states:

"Good news for pork eaters: the USDA is lowering the recommended safe-cooking temperature for whole cuts of pork from 160 F to 145 F and adding a three-minute rest time, meaning pork chops can safely be served on the pink side. It may still be pink, but it is safe to eat, the USDA says."

Whatcha all think? I think 145 F might still be a little low, but I think I might be ok with 150-155 F. I like my food juicy, anything that isn't cooked to death and is still safe is a good thing.

Jalon

My thoughts on this...

1) The USDA is not my governing body of intellectual resource for any of my food matters. Too often they are just plain.... wrong.
2) Might as well toss the meat if cooking pork up in the 160 range
3) A bite of my pork tenderloins below will convince most to pull no higher than 140F. As soft and tender as a filet migon.
4) Europeans been cooking and pulling pork in the 140 range for a long time.. and seem just fine. I think Phubar pulls low 130's even!

Coffee and Chile De Arbol crusted Pork Tenderloins - pulled at 139, 10 minute rest (above 142 at slicing)
Nice crunchy crust, with juicy meat in the same bite. Cooked direct over medium high coals, turned every 2-3 minutes.
CamerDec2010download089-1.jpg

CamerDec2010download091.jpg

Trichinosis in bear meat is NOT killed by freezing, even extended freeze times.
Source: Mayo Clinic website.

Back