Electric Smoker

My father and brother both have these. They've never bothered to add wood chips for flavor so the meat is slow-cooked over a water pan. My dad says the steam does all the cooking :roll:

Use to have one some 20 odd years ago. It was okay cause I didn't know better.

I guess that it would cook the meat ok, but it is not smoking unless you are using some type of wood or charcoal IMHO. Why not just cook it in the oven? Lazy Q, if Q at all.

I have owned one for years. I throw a couple of dry chunks of hickory tight on the electric burner unit. I never had a problem with it. Its nice in the winter, just put the meat on and not worry about the fire! But a good charcoal or wood fire is hard to beat!

mhumm38 said:
I have owned one for years. I throw a couple of dry chunks of hickory tight on the electric burner unit. I never had a problem with it. Its nice in the winter, just put the meat on and not worry about the fire! But a good charcoal or wood fire is hard to beat!

Agreed. If you add some wood it is a smoker. I just don't understand why you would cook outside and just use electricity. :?

I enjoy cooking with wood and charcoal because it is primitive. When I camp I also like to use a Dutch oven in an open fire. However, I have tasted some mighty good BBQ that was fixed in an electric smoker. It just happens to be the way I want to currently operate. I have a friend that cooks indoors with an electric pit during the winter and a big home built smoker in the summer. Each type has its own character and both are good. I do not have an electric but if I did I bet I would put it to good use.

My father and grandfather both had Little Chief electric smokers and they used them for years and years.
If you put wood chips in an electric smoker you have a smoker. If, like BigDog said, you don't use wood then you have an outdoor oven.

Bigmofo300lbs said:
So can you control temp on this thing?

If it isn't possible out of the box it shouldn't be too hard to add the hardware. Heck, just visit Home Depot and grab a rheostat.

Back