• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Question

SmokinJoe70

Reaction score
I have never tried a brisket,but i have several questions what type of wood is best for brisket? Do you cook it with the fat cap down or up? And how long does one usually take to cook? Does anyone have any special cooking instructions? Thanks for the help!

That is a good link with lots of info. Check out bigabytes tutorial. I am going to follow that for my first smoked Brisket this weekend!

I have never tried a brisket,but i have several questions what type of wood is best for brisket? Do you cook it with the fat cap down or up? And how long does one usually take to cook? Does anyone have any special cooking instructions? Thanks for the help!

Mesquite is the only wood to use.:behindsofa::heh:
Fat cap up, 1 1/2 hrs/lb. Low and slow is the only way to go. Good luck!

I'm sure everyone has their own take on the "best" way. I have an offset smoker, so I cook with fat cap on top. I've read that if you are cooking over direct heat, then you should have the fat cap down. I cook mine for about 75 minutes per pound at 225/250. I am not sure how long to let it rest. I can say from experience that 30 minutes is not enough. But, by the time I've been cooking all day, I am usually ready to eat!

I have always put the fat cap towards the heat source. In the BGE with a plate setter the fat cap is up, in my UDS it is down.

Well, I thought fat "up" wold give great flavor......... ?
Anyway you cook it, it should be great !

You can go low and slow, hot and fast, use whatever kind of rub or wood - that's all stuff you will get different answers on and you can dial that stuff in to your liking over time. One thing will never change, which is you have to cook a brisket until it's probe tender - a probe slides in with very little resistance in the thick part of the flat - and it should rest - you will get different answers on that too - I like to rest at least an hour. Clocks and therms are good tools for letting you know when to check with a probe.

I found bigabyte's tutorial to be of immense help and Mr. Bob does beautiful work - his pron his amazing and I'm sure the food tastes at least as good as it looks. Pitmaster T is a wealth of knowledge as well.

Another thing that will never change is that burnt ends are awesome. :hungry:

Back