MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brisket slices & burnt ends in a box

We’re having a little debate over the brisket box in the other thread. So to clarify, if we wanted to make a brisket box that included slices and some burnt ends. In a KCBS contest, can you separate a piece of meat and continue cooking half of it.

When we ‘create” our burnt ends, we will cube or chunk the point then season/sauce and place back on the smoker.

So in order to cook everything as we normally do. We would separate the flat and point when it was done. Then throw the burnt ends back on the smoker for awhile.

Can we do that and place in one box? I didnt think you could do that in a contest.
(Did I explain my question correctly?)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
paydabill
is one Smokin' Farker

The only thing you are not allowed to seperate is a pork butt - briskett you can cut anyway you want. A lot of people seperate point and flat in the middle of the cook.
2 pellet cookers latter!
CBJ - love judging
KCBS - member for 4 years
MOFO Chapter

Super fast - BLUE Thermopen
paydabill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wonder if anyone's ever had the testicular fortitude to actually "part" ribs and cook them individually to get bark all the way around the rib?

Also, if you had a butt weighing over 10 pounds, could you technically make it into two five pound butts since it can be bone in or out?
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Also, if you had a butt weighing over 10 pounds, could you technically make it into two five pound butts since it can be bone in or out?
Not the way I read the rules. A butt, is a butt. If you trim something off, it's a trimming and not another butt.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Extreme BBQ pre cut ribs and tossed this in rub. He smoked them and turned them in and took I believe third at cabellas in 2006.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Extreme BBQ pre cut ribs and tossed this in rub. He smoked them and turned them in and took I believe third at cabellas in 2006.
I would have liked to see those ribs! It's an interesting concept. I know sometimes we're not happy with the amount of meat between the bones when we slice and, while it would be a little more expensive to do, you could cut away from the bone and up against the next bone to get a lot of meat on each side of the one you turn in.
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Hollywood cut them. The reason he did that was because he burnt his spares and had an extra rack of baby backs around with about two hours to go until turn in. High heat and got them done with plenty of time to spare.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #8
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
We’re having a little debate over the brisket box in the other thread. So to clarify, if we wanted to make a brisket box that included slices and some burnt ends. In a KCBS contest, can you separate a piece of meat and continue cooking half of it.

When we ‘create” our burnt ends, we will cube or chunk the point then season/sauce and place back on the smoker.

So in order to cook everything as we normally do. We would separate the flat and point when it was done. Then throw the burnt ends back on the smoker for awhile.

Can we do that and place in one box? I didnt think you could do that in a contest.
(Did I explain my question correctly?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paydabill View Post
The only thing you are not allowed to seperate is a pork butt - briskett you can cut anyway you want. A lot of people seperate point and flat in the middle of the cook.
Paydabill is correct. According to the rules:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole
Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds. Pork
shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.
BEEF BRISKET: May be whole brisket, flat, or point.
Corned beef is not allowed.

It's only the Pork that cannot be split or parted...

I split my brisket before it even hits the cooker....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Thx for another lesson. I was applying the pork rule to everything.

Anyone care to elaborate as to why the different rules for butts and brisket?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Casten View Post
Thx for another lesson. I was applying the pork rule to everything.

Anyone care to elaborate as to why the different rules for butts and brisket?
The easy answer is "Because it's the KCBS"....

I really don't have an answer other than maybe the 'Money Muscle' found on a pork butt... It's a great item to slice... Problem is that it tends to be done quicker than the rest of the butt...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

And since we're talking burnt ends and slices...

The comment about putting the burnt ends in back rather than front caught my eye, the reasoning being that by putting the burnt ends in front one *might* be trying to hide "something".

Is this a widespread perception?

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm not taking any chance to let a judge and their "perception" ruin my score... That's why I put them in the back of the box... Assuming they are good enough... I also don't want to hide my slices of briskets...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
And since we're talking burnt ends and slices...

The comment about putting the burnt ends in back rather than front caught my eye, the reasoning being that by putting the burnt ends in front one *might* be trying to hide "something".

Is this a widespread perception?

I don't think that's always the case. As a general rule of thumb, I want to showcase the best looking most appetizing product in the box and "hide" or distract from the rest.

The box we were looking at in the other thread had wonderful flat slices while the burnt ends didn't look so good to me. I just wondered why someone would hide that front slice instead of highlighting it.

If I needed to hide injection marks or a tear, I'd do the same thing. I think the judges will be less likely to score you down for covering up the front slice than they would for a nasty stain. The appearance judging happens quick and once the score is written down, they can't change it.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

How to you get a boneless butt without trimming it?
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

After the last post, I thought to myself, "We all truly missed our calling. We should have all been lawyers!

.......(jack mccoy) "Your honor, a butt is a butt and shall not be trimmed." (defense attorney) "My client clearly split the butt into 2 - 5 lb sections and therefore, no violation of the law occurred." (jack mccoy)"You can't be serious!" .................

Part of me loves when we haggle over some of the rules.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote