MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

> Type of cooker, type of wood, amount of wood, type of charcoal, dirty fire, type of sugars, all will have varied results. Even different types of sugar will burn at different temperatures.

Add in humidity and external temps and winds, and all bets are off... :-) Every situation is different.

You dont have to foil. I do, but I've never had the "it tastes bland" thing going on. I apply my rub fairly liberally and I also inject with some of my rub in the injection. I also foil on color, but probably a tad darker than yours, for me that's about the 4.25 to 4.5 hour mark. I leave 'em foiled like this all the way through taking them off the smoker and into the resting "nest" for a few hours...

Now that I type this, do you rest yours? It really helps re-hydrate the meat, but also gets those flavors back in it somewhat...

Some leave their rubs on overnight. I dont; I rub and inject right before lighting the fire, so it's usually about an hour before putting them on the smoker.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
^ +1 ... I agree with the above.

Type of cooker, type of wood, amount of wood, type of charcoal, dirty fire, type of sugars, all will have varied results. Even different types of sugar will burn at different temperatures.

I use a low sugar rub, smoke with cherry wood, and I do not foil. I get a nice red-mahogany color every time. I like to use this as the eye-catcher, but once it's pulled it all the same, the color is only on the outside.

I also spritz several times with apple juice during the last 20 minutes to leave a nice sheen on the piece of meat.

Now that's the color I'm talking about.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #18
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
^ +1 ... I agree with the above.

Type of cooker, type of wood, amount of wood, type of charcoal, dirty fire, type of sugars, all will have varied results. Even different types of sugar will burn at different temperatures.

I use a low sugar rub, smoke with cherry wood, and I do not foil. I get a nice red-mahogany color every time. I like to use this as the eye-catcher, but once it's pulled it all the same, the color is only on the outside.

I also spritz several times with apple juice during the last 20 minutes to leave a nice sheen on the piece of meat.

Ok, that's the goal for my next butt...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #19
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Trim your butt defining the Money Muscle and exposing it. Apply a liberal coating of Smoking Guns Hot. Smoke for 2 hours at 180 using Apple wood. Increase your temp to 275 until thew butt reaches 175. Double Wrap with foil and cook to 205-210.
Unfoil and pour the juices in a bowl. Rewrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Remove and pull your pork removing as much fat as possible. You should be able to slice the money muscle. Check your juice, it should have a fat layer on top. Remove this. Underneath you should have a gelatin that is pure heaven. Scatter this on top of the pulled and sliced. Add a little rub if it needs it, Cover with foil and heat for 1 hour at 350. Not competition but excellent.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote