• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just Tried Adam Perry Lang's Short Ribs...

Not to hijack this but I have a question. My APL book "Serious BBQ" is all marked up from trying many of his recipes. Him and AF are the two guys that I really try to emulate. Funny because Aaron is the ultimate KISS cook and APL likes to do all kinds of things to his meat. Question is about the fler-del-sel. I can't find it anywhere. I found some similar finishing salt but have not used it yet. Do any of you use it and does it really add that much to the flavor? Still can't believe there was an APL sighting-I'm glad he finally found some matches!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Not to hijack this but I have a question. My APL book "Serious BBQ" is all marked up from trying many of his recipes. Him and AF are the two guys that I really try to emulate. Funny because Aaron is the ultimate KISS cook and APL likes to do all kinds of things to his meat. Question is about the fler-del-sel. I can't find it anywhere. I found some similar finishing salt but have not used it yet. Do any of you use it and does it really add that much to the flavor? Still can't believe there was an APL sighting-I'm glad he finally found some matches!

Well any discussion of APL would have to include fleur de sel, right? I don't know too many details, but it's a type of sea salt. I'm gonna guess you could probably use sea salt in the place of fleur de sel if you can't find it. I'd say it's more of a flavor enhancer rather than adding a different element to the flavor. Using sea salt or fleur de sel does make a difference when finishing IMO.

I hear ya on the differences - I tend towards KISS but once in a while it's fun to dig into a recipe and a cooking process, and APL's got that going on for sure. :thumb:

Looking forward to meeting all that are able to make it tomorrow.
I just set up a site that can help with directions and tell you a bit more about what is happening. Www.aplseriousbarbecue.com

Regarding the Fleur du Sel. It's nice but not imperative. I like the texture of the salt, the taste is not such a big factor. Some of my recipes can be fussy, but also like to keep it real simple sometimes. One of my favourite rubs is garlic salt, black pepper, salt and cayenne. Cooking for me is never an absolute, sometimes it can be very involved, other times KISS

I've been looking forward to returning soon :hungry: This is defenitely something rare. I'll try to make it out early tomorrow

• Thanks
A couple of comments.. 1) Thanks for sharing! Serious BBQ is one of the first books I bought when getting into BBQ. It really opened my eyes; 2) Food and set up look fantastic!; 3) APL is thinner than I thought he'd be. :shock: Actually, he looks in fit condition. Perhaps his next book should be entitled "Stay Fit Recipes of a Kick Arse BBQ Chef ~ Secrets to My Success (I'd buy that); 4) Pitfolk? Probably doubles as security and 5) You're a lucky dude! :thumb:

Very cool post!

Oh and hey, I just noticed that this post has made me a "Full Fledged Farker." Just one more reason your post is so awesome!

• Thanks
Well poke me with a dull skewer-APL just responded to my post. Thanks Adam, Serious BBQ is my go-to book for recipes and bathroom reading(which I do often). Now if I can can get AF to slice me some brisket my life will be complete.

• Thanks
HA,
If your dream looked anything like this it could have turned into a nightmare real fast:twitch:

IMG_7143_zps0a39dba5.jpg

I recognize the Phirst 3 Pharkers but who are the 2 guys on the right?

• Thanks
^^^Moose is next to Mista and Campdude is all the way to the right.

I'm getting hungry! :hungry:

Have a rib or two for me please!!

• Thanks
This is a great tread! I am seriously very jealous of all who get to indulge in APL's "Q" and get to hang with the man himself. And all for a good cause to boot. AWESOME! :thumb:

• Thanks
Have a rib or two for me please!!

You know it!

I'm only 2,000 miles or so away. Anybody wanna gimme a ride?

I'll come and get ya Guerry... wait by the curb. :mrgreen: :laugh::laugh:

Make sure you take the correct turn, Jeanie! Unlike some people I know... :doh:

He's here for a few weeks, so if you don't make the left at Albuquerque & get lost you still have time. :hungry:

You know it!

He's here for a few weeks, so if you don't make the left at Albuquerque & get lost you still have time. :hungry:

Yay! Sounds doable to me. :becky:

• Thanks
Back