MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
andy53
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Runaway UDS

I recently built a UDS and today I am doing my third cook. My cooking temp ran away from me, but I finally have it steady at 350. This is higher than I wanted, but after reading many posts I think my butt and ribs will be ok, just hopefully not dry.

Any ideas on what could have caused this? I think it may be partially because I got distracted and the temp got higher than planned before I started shutting down valves.

I also am using a different lid this cook. I previously used the lid from my Weber, but recently found a no name kettle in the trash with a hinge. I mounted the lid, but it was a little small and I bent out the rim and it leaks a little.

Would the leaking lid be the cause of the higher temp or maybe a leak elsewhere in the UDS?

Thanks for all the help, this site is awesome!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Definitely the ill fitting lid.

ANY air that can leak into your cooker (no matter if it's a UDS or whatever) is going to provide energy for your fire.

Air control = temperature control

And yes, once you let one get away from you, it's tough to get it back down because you have more mass involved in the fire.

But don't shut it down too far - incomplete combustion can impart a bitter flavor to your food.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
andy53
Knows what a fatty is.

After doing a little poking around the site I am thinking that maybe I should try a BGE replacement gasket to see if that helps the lid leak.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
4uweque
Full Fledged Farker

I have a lid much like that on my UDS, it is a wal-mart dome grill that I flattened the edge on to make it fit. It leaked pretty bad at first but the grease from cooks tends to seal it after time. I never really had trouble controlling my temps, the leak is so far up it is pretty much just an exhaust. I don't think that was your problem.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4uweque View Post
I have a lid much like that on my UDS, it is a wal-mart dome grill that I flattened the edge on to make it fit. It leaked pretty bad at first but the grease from cooks tends to seal it after time. I never really had trouble controlling my temps, the leak is so far up it is pretty much just an exhaust. I don't think that was your problem.
I agree with this. I suspect operator error during the pre flight. I still fail to understand why every one thinks a UDS has to have a Weber or weber style lid I run a flat lid and have all the room I need to cook a turkey

Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
andy53
Knows what a fatty is.

My first thought was that it wasn't the lid, because I too thought it would just be like additional exhaust, but it was the only thing I changed from the first 2 cooks.

I think Bludawg is right, starting to think it may just have been my own fault by letting it get to hot before slowing down.