What was your first grill or smoker?

First gasser was a little H burner Sunbeam. It has been rehabbed 4 times since 1982 and is residing at a hunting shack in northern MN and still turning out steaks and burgers.

First charcoal grill was a Weber kettle knockoff by the Crestline Co. (Window manufacturer) My dad picked it up at an auction for $1. I cooked on it for 5 years in my college days until the bottom rusted out.

First smoker was a Mecco brand that is like the ECB. Dad and I picked it up for a buck at another auction. Smoked carp and salmon on it like it was going out of style. Terrible temp control but we made some really tasty fish on it. Dad still has it but it hasn't been fired up in awhile.

My first smoker was one of the original New Braunfels Silver Smokers (prior to Char Broil buy out), purchased at Home Depot (most stores had just 2 units back then) and my first cook was naturally a briisket that alas and alack turned out to be about as good as shoe leather, edible but barely. Still have the smoker, now used as a real good charcoal grill.

Back