Thoughts on Foie Gras Infused BBQ Sauce

Dan2276

Reaction score
So I am having a party in a week and a half. I am making 20-30 lbs of shoulder and about 10 baby backs. Any way, I've always been tempted to make foie gras bbq sauce, and think I am just crazy enough to do it this year.

I'd use a standard Kansas City style recipe for the sauce (most likely the one from amazing ribs or whatever) replace the oil for sauteing the onions and garlic with foie gras drippings, and then finely chop and caramelize the rest of the foie and add it to the sauce.

What do you guys think?

So I am having a party in a week and a half. I am making 20-30 lbs of shoulder and about 10 baby backs. Any way, I've always been tempted to make foie gras bbq sauce, and think I am just crazy enough to do it this year.

I'd use a standard Kansas City style recipe for the sauce (most likely the one from amazing ribs or whatever) replace the oil for sauteing the onions and garlic with foie gras drippings, and then finely chop and caramelize the rest of the foie and add it to the sauce.

What do you guys think?

First off, DO IT and report back the results! :)

Having said that I think that the buttery lusciousness of the foi gras will get lost in the heavy flavors of a KC style sauce. Seems like an expensive ingredient for simple barbecue. But you absolutely have to try it out and let us know how it works out! It would give the sauce *a lot* of umami which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. :clap2:

I dunno, this seems like a great stunt, but, I don't see how it is going to work out. Sure, the fat will infuse into the sauce, but, I think the other flavors will be lost. Still, I am often wrong, so I say, go for it.

I'm thinking it's more to add immense richness to the sauce versus foie gras flavor, but I understand what you are saying.

Oh, then I say again, go for it, it will add immense richness. I recently had it in a salad dressing, and it was terrific.

For me, what separates foie gras from a regular duck pâté is the subtlety of flavor and that awesome smooth texture. I fear that both could be lost in a sauce.

I would start off with a regular pâté and get it so that you can really taste those duck flavors. When you're happy with the recipe, try it with the expensive stuff and see if you can notice the difference.

I would go with a lighter sauce and include mushrooms. Definitely forgo the tomato and heavy sugar aspects. Might be tempted to reduce some wine instead.

It could be epic.

I'm thinking a frois gras butter sauce or frois gras and truffle butter sauce on a S&P brisket sammich or on the slices by themselves would be a better option. Cooked with no fruit woods but with oak.

I'll be the voice of dissent. The heart and soul of good bbq is simplicity- the art of making delicious food from a few simple ingredients, lower end cuts of meat, time, smoke, and patience. Most people expect bbq to taste like bbq, not fancy French cuisine. I think I'd do the shoulders and ribs traditionally and save the foie gras for some kind of appetizer where it can be itself and can be appreciated for what it is. Hell, here in NC, people would turn their noses up at the bbq if there was a little too much ketchup or sugar in the sauce, much less goose guts. :laugh:

Having no idea what it would taste like, my only concern would be the actual look of the sauce. I've had foie a bunch of times but never cooked with it. I'm thinking it might be grainy looking. IDK, definitely post pics!

On a side note, I have some leftover duck fat in my freezer I was looking to incorporate into some BBQ...somehow. It's amazing the flavor you get, just a tablespoon on homefries, salt and pepper.

Oh, and you might want to have another sauce as some people are against foie, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm thinking you need to gasp freeze some and send it to me. I'm drooling.......

Yes, the foie gras (fat liver for our non-French speaking brethren) is a rather rich ingredient to add to a ketchup/molasses sauce, both so are truffles in a mac and cheese.

GO FOR IT!

I am in the "give it a shot" camp.

I would try it in a small batch first though and see if it would be worth the hassle and expense in a larger amount.

Please share the results if you give it a whirl.

Back