Help Please On Close Up Pictures

Hold the shutter button half way down for a moment right before you hit it to take the picture that forces the camera to focus.

Chit glass will give you chit pics, no matter who is taking the pictures. Comparing grills to cameras is a little bit of a stretch to me. I do completely agree with what CD said about the cooking and equipment. But then again, I think if you took the same pic with a better camera it would be a much better pic just from the better glass alone.
Sure, there is plenty of room to improve with what you have with lights tripods etc, but your still going to have pics from a low megapixel tiny lens camera.
Note: I come from the advertising/retouching world so I may be a little snobby when it comes to cameras ;)
Dont want to contradict or offend anyone..... just my 2cents

Poor lenses primarily cause chromatic aberration and distortion which are not the problems we're seeing. The issues of image quality that come up with photos posted on our forum revolve around color balance, under exposure, motion blur and lack of focus. Of course better cameras (both point and shoot and slrs) have white balance settings, greater light sensitivity, image stabilization and other features that help but great images can be made with simple cameras. High resolution cameras are certainly essential in print advertising (I'm a catalog photog and I shoot with a 40 mp Phase One back on a Hassie) but completely unnecessary for web posts. Besides, you'd be hard pressed to find a camera made today under 10 mp. I could make fine images for this forum with a 1 mp camera if I could find one. The information you need to do that has been laid out clearly and concisely in this thread.

ok, I guess I have nothing to contribute here. Ignore everything I said previously.
Get a shoplight from homedepot and hang a sheet over it and you will be golden.

The information you need to do that has been laid out clearly and concisely in this thread.

I agree and would like to thank everyone for all the information. I plan to do some reading and experimenting. Hopefully I will be able to show you some nice pics in the future.
Thank you for helping out a fellow Brother.:thumb:

No way am I a pro, but when I have the problem you are describing, blurry close-ups, I will back off a foot or two and then zoom-in and use the flash. I usually take a few pictures that way playing with the angle to get the proper lighting I'm looking for. A lot of good advice here, play with your camera, it'll come around.

Oh yeah, and when was the last time you cleaned your camera lens? I know after I BBQ even if I'm away from the action, Alot of airborne stuff still gets on my glasses lens.

Cool video.:thumb:

Clean my lens? Whisky Tango Foxtrot what is a lens?:doh:

Again thanks to everyone who took time to offer advise it is much appreciated.

9681185-emoticon-taking-a-photo.jpg

As for your wife's lenses, just look and see if they're "FD" lenses or "EF" lenses. EF lenses have been around since the late 80's and will work with current Canon DSLR cameras. FD lenses were the prior generation, used on cameras like the AE-1. They're manual focus and have a different mount, so won't work with current cameras without an adapter.

Updated Photo

I got some great advice yesterday. Today for lunch my son wanted some of the stuff I made Sunday. I had the idea to plate it up and use some of that great info for a new pic.

Old Picture.

DSC01232.jpg

New Picture.

DSC01242-1.jpg

Whats different: The biggest thing is I moved outdoors for better light. I mounted the camera to a tripod, used the timer, and shot it from 24" away. Then I cropped it and used the enhancement feature in IPhoto.

I won't always have the option of daylight so I am working on some lights for inside. I have a lot to learn but this is a huge step in the right direction.
Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Not much I can add to this, but have a photog friend that stated for good pics, the most important aspects are, in order:

1) Photographer
2) Lighting
3) Lens
4) Camera

1 and 2 being the most important. Even with a cheapie point and shoot, he can take great pictures.

As someone mentioned, probably similar to cooking, where a good cook can cook up a great meal, regardless of the equipment he/she is using.

Just another point, sometimes, again, you can be too close to a subject, a slightly longer view point can make a more complete story. These two images were shot hand held, top lit, ambient indoor lighting, with a Canon EOS 40D DSLR and a f1.8 prime lens.

Depth of field was necessarily short due to low light and a wide open aperture. Focus was automatic, but, tight to the middle of each dish. The idea was to create a library of dishes for a BBQ shop. These images are reduced from the original 2800 x 1900 format for posting. No other post-processing was performed on these images.

ef6b026e-19f8-4b26-a7c6-54cfdef11f24_zps8b35dee5.jpg

239d0a05-c652-485e-ae09-e21d9b35f71f_zps955ccaa3.jpg

Here is one of the images as delivered for web use. This has some post-processing done.
phatbeastie2_zpsaf622592.jpg

ah heck, here is the other finished image...
smokedbelly_zps7957d565.jpg

BTW, I highly recommend smoking pork belly without any cure, that above photo is a 3 hour smoked pork belly, no cure, just a simple rub.

Unfarkin believable! That photo is absolutely, positively as good as any food photo I've seen. Great styling, composition, lighting and color balance. Kudos to you. :-D :clap2: :-D :clap2: :-D :clap2: :-D :clap2:

Back