MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #16
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

thought the judging was amazingly consistent, especially for such a large contest. One of the things that amazes me is how tight the scoring was. The same 20 points that separated 30th from 1st also separated 30th from where we finished at 158th! That's a huge swing

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree Sean. I think my food was fairly judged.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post
I judged at the royal. I think things were handled as close to how they are required from KCBS guidelines. We had one person on our table that was not a CBJ. I think that was typical. There just are not enough judges. Our table had a good mix of experience. Right next to the non-cbj was a master judge.

One thing that may cause some lower scores is, typically people compete in their home area with judges from the home area. For a contest like the royal judges travel from further distances. That can affect scoring. Judges may not be used to flavors you use. Also styles of cooking.

For example: All the ribs I judged were dry rubbed only, no sauce. I have never run into this in other contests. I am sorry, but dry rubbed ribs don't have the wow affect that sauced and glazed ribs do. They don't look as appitizing. I scored them down.
Also, I had a lot of 3 boxes with chopped pork that was difficult for me to judge texture. There were things I ran into at the royal that I don't typically see in the upper midwest. Also, most of the food I tasted was cool if not cold temperature. An usually long time with food going into the box to the judges table might have lowered scores. Meat flavor and texture greatly changes with temp.

Just a few ideas for what it's worth.

Eggspert BBQ
Thank you for the quote about the cool/cold meat and the possible texture issues. We shall take that into account for future cooks. The air temperature was unusually cold both Saturday and Sunday and we were boxing outside in our EZ Up (which is also where we "slept"). Our spot was just short of half a mile from the turn-in area...I'm not sure how we could possibly turn in a hot/warm product, even using the insulated bags during transportation...but we'll try harder in the future.

No wonder Tuffy runs his turn-in boxes to the judging area.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

I was personally shocked by the consistency of our scoring. All 4 our our entries for the open were within less than 3 points of each other. We got higher scores on Saturday for essentially the same product (actually, I thought our Sunday cook was better), but I think that might be because the judges have higher expectations for the Invitational. Overall I was very happy with the judging and the event as a whole.

It was an honor to be competing against the teams there this past weekend and I loved every minute of it!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

One of the things that surprises me as a first time Royal competitor is the number of judges on here that are not from the Kansas City area. That's encouraging in my mind. With that many teams, you are probably getting a good read on what the best BBQ is from across the country, not just what people from Kansas City believe.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Happy to see the positive comments about judging. Plus some good insights.
Looking at the KCBS posting of results, there was 100% CBJ's. That is how it should be for a major contest.

As far as traveling, I routinely have judges from 3 states, sometimes more, come to judge our contest, so having a lot of non local judges does not surprise me at all.

The closeness of the scores is a tribute to the quality of the cooks.

I was an Ambassador at the Royal, and was all over the grounds. Saw the long distances some had to go for turn in ( 7 minute walk from the "Ox" lot). Having to judge cold/cool entries does not surprise me, but I would not like it as either a competitor or judge. With 545 teams, not everybody can be close to turn in.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyle View Post
Happy to see the positive comments about judging. Plus some good insights.
Looking at the KCBS posting of results, there was 100% CBJ's. That is how it should be for a major contest.

As far as traveling, I routinely have judges from 3 states, sometimes more, come to judge our contest, so having a lot of non local judges does not surprise me at all.

The closeness of the scores is a tribute to the quality of the cooks.

I was an Ambassador at the Royal, and was all over the grounds. Saw the long distances some had to go for turn in ( 7 minute walk from the "Ox" lot). Having to judge cold/cool entries does not surprise me, but I would not like it as either a competitor or judge. With 545 teams, not everybody can be close to turn in.
As Mr Brinker said, the judges got it right. He, The Scheers and the rest of the winners are phenomenal bbq chefs. The cream rose to the top in this event...kudos to the judges.

Thank you, the other ambassadors, the volunteers, the judges and everyone who helped make this an incredible event.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I don't see a problem with any of our scores. We thought our scores and placement were aligned with what we turned in.

We had a great time and look forward to returning to the dark side again.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
One of the things that surprises me as a first time Royal competitor is the number of judges on here that are not from the Kansas City area. That's encouraging in my mind. With that many teams, you are probably getting a good read on what the best BBQ is from across the country, not just what people from Kansas City believe.
We actually ran into more judges that traveled for the royal than were from the Kansas City area. We talked to a lot of people from Iowa, Minnesota, etc. I don't know if that is typical or not. Just what I saw this year.
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #25
Kit R
Full Fledged Farker

Hey I was thrilled to get the very first call in the main four categories on Saturday (15th place chicken) and to finish 22nd overall in the Invitational in our very first Royal. Talk about making the weekend. Would I have liked to got some more love? Sure! But I look at this experience as a reminder that although we're on the right track, we still have lots of room for improvement. And I'm even more motivated to come back strong in 2013.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_AL View Post
As Mr Brinker said, the judges got it right. He, The Scheers and the rest of the winners are phenomenal bbq chefs. The cream rose to the top in this event...kudos to the judges.

Thank you, the other ambassadors, the volunteers, the judges and everyone who helped make this an incredible event.
Thanks! They also got what we did wrong, right. If that makes any sense. I did have REALLY good pork on Day 1, and my ribs were spot-on for Day 2. We were rewarded for both. My brisket left me a little flat, and the judges noticed the same thing so it scored in the 160's. My chicken was great, for me anyway, and it made it to the 170's. As much as we all complain about inconsistent judging, quite often they do get it right.

That having been said, I'm a HUGE advocate of tracking judges scores and seating them in a manner that balances the tables.......
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We had no clue how our flavors would work...so we just cooked our normal cook both days. They kinda liked our brisket and ribs...middle of the road on our pork, and they absolutley hated our chicken...lol!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #28
Pig Pimp 21
Found some matches.

I think our team would have to admit that the judges got it mostly right for our turn ins even though we don't have a ton of KCBS experience. This was our first Royal and we were happy to finish in the top 200 and with a top 50 brisket. We knew we could compete and we know we have room to improve.

When we do finally get our first call (any category) at the Royal it will be like winning the Superbowl for us.
Pig Pimp 21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #29
bigsapper
Take a breath!

Here's an article about decision fatigue...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
Robert Downer
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thumbs up congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
That having been said, I'm a HUGE advocate of tracking judges scores and seating them in a manner that balances the tables.......
i agree,

but being a new judge to KCBS...and listening to the salty old-timers...i'd just wish more judges would judge to what the team is presenting and not to their likes/dislikes or 'compairing' to another entry (and i understand some entries blow the buds off the tongues with heat or sweet...)

and the tracking 'may' lead to 'stacking' a table...hopefully the table captain is wise...

but i still think that the judges, like youmentioned earlier, get it right more often than not

and congrats again!!

Thanks from:--->