• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New York Style Pastrami....

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Had 2 corn beef flats, in my freezer and decided to make some New York Style pastrami (finished in steam). First, I soaked the flats, for about 24 hours to get some of the salt off.
IMG_0106.jpg

Prepared the rub, which included, black pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic, ground coriander, and dried thyme.
IMG_0116.jpg

Then rubbed the flats, usually, I like to let it sit overnight in the rub, but, a cold front is headed this way, so I went staright to the smoker.
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

The smoker was fueled with reg. Kingsford and four pieces of cherry wood.
IMG_0120.jpg

The smoker was holding steady at 230 degrees, and took the flats to a 145 internal temp.
IMG_0121.jpg

Slicing...
IMG_0122.jpg

To add the steam-like part, I put the slices in the pressure cooker, for 20 minutes, with beef broth. This is what it look like....
IMG_0124.jpg

Can't wait to make a nice sammie with swiss, rye bread and deli mustard and a half pickle. I miss Katz! Enjoy!

Can't wait to make a nice sammie with swiss, rye bread and deli mustard and a half pickle. I miss Katz! Enjoy!

you aint lying about katz. the best pastrami ever, though yours doesnt look so shabby. i have a place about a mile from me and its owned by the same family. they use the same corned beef and pastrami and its amazing. @ 23.99 a lb it should be but money well spent

Last edited:
Good lookin Pastrami. I have not done the steam method. How tender was it? Juicy?

Very, Very tender and juicy. You do lose a lot of the crust or bark, in the pressure cooker, but the moisture is worth it. Took a couple of a pics from the sammies I made for lunch, will post them in a few.

you aint lying about katz. the best pastrami ever, though yours doesnt look so shabby. i have a place about a mile from me and its owned by the same family. they use the same corned beef and pastrami and its amazing. @ 23.99 a lb it should be but money well spent

The last time I went up north, I was visiting my god-daughter and her Dad (HAV), when, an in-law cousin, came home with a tray full of pastrami, from Katz'. It had to be at least 2 #'s worth, no bread just pastrami, and we just finished having some healthy size burgers, but I couldn't pass up the offer. It was absolutely perfect! I would pay the 23.99 a #. Thanks for the comments.

The reward....

This is the sammie, I made for my wife and Dad, today! They just loved them. Used Rye Bread, Gulden's Spicy Mustard, Swiss cheese and pickle on the side, hold the slaw.
IMG_0125.jpg

Ready for the toaster oven....
IMG_0126.jpg

The piece du resistance...
IMG_0127.jpg

Back