Anything Butt/ Chefs Choice

Zombie Barbecue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just wondering whos ever won in the past and what you made for the anything butt/chefs choice category. ever win with Dessert??Trying to get some ideas for the upcoming season. thinking salmon maybe rib roast.

I've seen salmon, dessert, & steak win.

Word of warning - don't try rack of lamb - I tried them at one contest & cooked to a full on medium, but the judges deemed them un-edible (raw), KCBS rep said they were cooked just right, judges still said "nope":tsk::tsk::tsk:, so the rep went home with a FULL box - at least someone appreciated them:clap2:. One expensive lesson:sick:

Come to our class in may. We will do our chefs choice that took 1st place in CT. 2010

I usually see desserts win. If not that, then salmon is a good bet. I actually walked in a backyard comp doing scotch eggs though, so you never know.

I usually see desserts win. If not that, then salmon is a good bet. I actually walked in a backyard comp doing scotch eggs though, so you never know.

Scotch eggs rules! What kind of desserts are winning? cheesecake, pecan pies, or more fancy stuff.

and also, what if you do seafood and a judge is allergic? wouldnt they need to substitute a judge?

I heard people winning with lobsters. christ, might as well put a few rolex's in there while youre at it.

It seems to me that Pineapple upside down cakes and cheesecakes tend to be winners. I judged a key lime cheesecake last summer that was to die for...got a 180. Chocolate covered bacon can do well too.

If desserts are part of the Anything Butt, they usually win, from what I've seen. In dessert, cheescakes generally do well. How do you judge salmon, cheeescake, pudding, lobster and steak, jello, etc. side by side. Some organizers have started doing dessert separate because of this. I've seen people put fillet mignon and lobster together - all for $100 prize. It's a huge crap shoot. You can save yourself some money and aggrevation and not do them. We stopped doing 'em, especially if they charge to enter it. BTW - we turned in rack of lamb once and had a similar result as Harley.

If desserts are part of the Anything Butt, they usually win, from what I've seen. In dessert, cheescakes generally do well. How do you judge salmon, cheeescake, pudding, lobster and steak, jello, etc. side by side. Some organizers have started doing dessert separate because of this. I've seen people put fillet mignon and lobster together - all for $100 prize. It's a huge crap shoot. You can save yourself some money and aggrevation and not do them. We stopped doing 'em, especially if they charge to enter it. BTW - we turned in rack of lamb once and had a similar result as Harley.

Yeah been seeing a lot more dessert categories that are separate from chefs choice. key lime pie sounds kickass. anybody win on beef ribroast>? Maybe I'll just put 6 shots of woodford reserve in the box and turn that in.

Joey on our team is an outstanding cook. We one with filet oscar this last year.:thumb: If your going all out make sure you've got a team member dedicated to just that. Don't let it hinder your main 4.

70 teams at the Skewered Apple BBQ Championship in Yakima WA, and I saw some truly remarkable and creative turn ins for "Anything on a Skewer".

ABT's took First Place.

does anybody know if you are turning in a dessert, do you need atleast (6) portions of that dessert or just (1) slice? same with a rib roast, you'd need (6) portions of rib roast right?

rules for turn in vary from contest to contest. Some have to have six pre cut portions others can turn in a large one piece to be cut at judges table. Also some require it to fit into a box where others say turn it in however you want. At the american royal I've seen deserts that require two people to carry them.

Back