MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
ABM
Got rid of the matchlight.

Question So, I Want To Market My Super Awesome Rub(s)

First of all, hey, y'all. :)

I have dabbled with this rub for a number of years and finally have found some degree of perfection. Everyone who has tried it says it's the best they've used. It's always a demanded item for stocking stuffers, gifts, and the like.

So.....now I'd like to take a stab at marketing it......but have no idea as to the steps I should take in doing so. One thought I've had is eventually selling it (and variations, thereof) on Amazon Marketplace, then maybe through various local outlets...perhaps even at fairs and the like.

Do any of you have experience in this area? If so, might you be willing to share your thoughts as to the steps I should take. I think somebody once told me I'd need to get a nutritional label through the USDA, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance!! :)
ABM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

send some my way. you always need testers.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
ABM
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky' View Post
send some my way. you always need testers.
LOL. Yeah, I figured. ;)
ABM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

To the guys who have experience in this field, you are now considered competition. Let me know if you get any help.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Partyof5
Knows what a fatty is.

Unless you have over 1% animal/meat based ingredient in your product, the labeling would be FDA.

Wherever you would have the product blended and filled could do it for you.
Partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Seriously, you will want some endorsements or a large chunk of cash. Consider making some samples to send out to some brethren. Bet you will get more bites if you impress.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I'll try it, tester number 2!
JandJbuidasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
prodano
On the road to being a farker

Default So, I Want To Market My Super Awesome Rub(s)

This is a very good question, I'm looking forward to hearing what the brethren have to say. I hope my question doesn't hijack the thread, but how do you guys mix your rub so it is uniform consistency?

Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Partyof5
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodano View Post
This is a very good question, I'm looking forward to hearing what the brethren have to say. I hope my question doesn't hijack the thread, but how do you guys mix your rub so it is uniform consistency?
To keep blends with differing sizes of particulates, a small amount of oil added to blend with help the blend not to stratify (look like those sand art thingies)
Partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

You might want to check around locally for a commercial kitchen that leases time. Here in North Alabama there is one in or near Florence. I know of a few products that are made/packaged there. You do it, using their equipment, etc.... Gets you out of a fair amount of the overhead and red tape.

They can also guide you through the entire process from start to finish. If I remember correctly there is a Hot Sauce brand that is made there, and another is Cheese straws.

Just a thought, and good luck.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

Here is the link to the one in Florence Alabama. You may can find something similar near you.

http://www.shoalsec.com/specialty-food-production/
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

With the type of quantities you will be looking at, your spice supplier(s) should be glad to provide you with a quote for your formula (or part thereof).
Working with them will also give you a good idea on your product cost (at volume).
Most do their own packaging or work with packaging companies.
I do know that some proprietary product (like yours) have part of the recipe blended with one company and finished and package at another.

In some of our local restaurants, small seasoning companies have product on the tables for customers to try on their food or are used in their menu features.
It is an easy place to start.

I did some research on amazon a few years ago for a product we were taking to market (non-BBQ related), what I found, well, do your homework before jumping in on that one!

And yes, get some "credible feedback", Brethren, comp team opinion, or otherwise.
Just my .02.
Good Luck!!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Within the Q-Talk Roadmap above - there is a wealth of info right here...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=20

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
tuckerdog99
Found some matches.

I live in Lake Oswego.
Oregon Spice Co. located near PDX is a large wholesale supplier of spices. I won't give names, but they mix wholesale quantities of rubs, spices etc for many well known companies.
Paddy Black is the President
I have no financial or any other interest in the company
Michael
tuckerdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Hog
Knows what a fatty is.

Taster #3 here!
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote