MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
That setup on the Primo Oval XL is indeed nice with the split heat deflector. I hope that Kamado Joe does something similar in the future because I'll be the first kid in line to buy one if they do. The metal rack that holds the deflector in the KL Classic is a 3-prong holder for the round diffuser stone, so that configuration would have to change up a little to hold a half stone.
Not the same as Primo, but KJ did a good job of incorporating it.

http://www.kamadojoe.com/heat_deflector_bigjoe.html
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

Default Not a nickle's worth of difference between them

There's not really any difference between KJ and BGE in using them. Nor in construction quality, despite the claims of KJ. Mexico vs China? Can't say I have a preference.
BGE does sponsor some fun events and has a better dealer network for warranty support which has saved many a BGE owner from tears.

If you have time to search for lightly used at bargain prices that's the ticket. The MBGE shown was used one time, stored 7 years then sold to me for $140. I bought a Small for $75 but resold it to buy the Medium.

Owning both, I have no preference.

Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Unfortunately, the two-piece heat deflector is an accessory for the Big Joe. The Kamado Joe Classic model heat deflector is a single piece. I'd love to see that option added for the KJ Classic myself, but I will come up with a work-around in the mean time. I will probably take my angle grinder to another pizza pan that is the same size as the heat deflector and cut out the inside of half of it.
KJ showed a two piece split heat deflector on their Facebook page a few weeks ago along with the announcement that other new accessories are coming. Another one I like is a metal water pan that has little dome "feet" on the bottom so all of your liquid doesn't boil off so fast.

Neither has shipped yet, but they said the are shipping 2013! I'll be getting both of those.