MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
smokingnorth422
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default do my babybacks look done?

hey thanks for stoppin by and lookin at my dinner. i put these two racks on at 230pm today. itll be 4 hours at 630. pics are attached.

should i take them off? would you put sauce on them? i had to cut the racks in half because of the space. id love to get a 22.5 inch weber kettle. even better, a wsm many folks speak highly of. well ill just press post now and see what yall think. i used a rub that texas roadhouse sells. i figured what the hell. ill give it a try. by the way, i have left the top vent open and the bottom vent a little more then half way closed the entire time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0286.jpg (61.6 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0285.jpg (118.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0284.jpg (44.5 KB, 131 views)
smokingnorth422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Look like they may be done to me. Stick a probe or toothpick between the bones and see if they are tender. You might also try the bend test to see how flexible they are.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
smokingnorth422

yeah i didnt know if the bend test would be reliable or not. didnt know bout the tooth pick thing. thank you.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Boshizzle

Nice ribs! To check for doneness, try to twist a bone. If it can be twisted easily, they are done. You could also try picking them up from the middle with some tongs and see if they bend with at least a little crack in the meat on top at the bend point.

Sauce is a personal thing, but if you must, you can slightly warm some sauce and put it on the ribs after you remove them from the smoker and let them rest uncovered for 5 or 10 minutes and it should glaze up nicely. The other option is to put the sauce on them about 10 minutes before you remove them from the smoker.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
smokingnorth422

thanks so much bosh

Old 07-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
smokingnorth422

so i just took tongs and took them by the end to see if they would bend, and they dont bend at all. but the tooth pick went in pretty easy

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Boshizzle

I can't tell for sure from the pic, are these pork or beef?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
smokingnorth422

pork. just stuck an OXO meat thermometer in the top vent. temp was 165. i guess ive been cooking them that low for this whole time. i did have the bottom vetn closed a good amount. top vetn open all the way. smoke has been pouring out slow nice and steady.

i was thinking of finishing them in the oven if they aint done. at 300 maybe for about 30 min. what do you think? wrap them in foil maybe?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Bring your temp up to about 275, wrap them in foil and let them cook for 30 minutes then check for tenderness as described in the above posts. If they aren't tender, wrap them back up and keep checking in 30 minute intervals. If you can't get the temp up in your smoker the oven is a good option if wrapping in foil. They will be great either way.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
smokingnorth422

ok so i didnt light any more charcoal because i thought they would be done by 630. ya know, 4 hours. lesson learned. so i put them in the oven at 275, wrapped in regular Reynolds foil. the recycled one, that my wife buys. i hope it works. im starving. but i sure dont mind waiting for good food. im sure worried they wont turn out well. will i be alright switching to the oven?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Boshizzle

They will be fine. If you have a cookie sheet on the rack below the rack the ribs are on, go ahead and bump the temp up to 300 and wrap them in foil. Just keep checking them every 30 minutes from here on out. They will be delicious.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
smokingnorth422

indeed i do have them on a nice cookie sheet. wrapped in foil. thanks for all your help.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
smokingnorth422

they came out awesome! took them out at 730pm. let them sit for 15 min. they were tender. flavorful. maybe another half hour in the oven. i am really growing old of using my weber kettle to smoke. i must half something better. this works. and with good results, but i think i am very ready to move on.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
Boshizzle

Congrats, bro! If you want to move on to something a little easier to smoke with I'd recommend a UDS with a diffuser and a BGE vent on it or a WSM.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingnorth422 View Post
they came out awesome! took them out at 730pm. let them sit for 15 min. they were tender. flavorful. maybe another half hour in the oven. i am really growing old of using my weber kettle to smoke. i must half something better. this works. and with good results, but i think i am very ready to move on.
Go with a Weber Smokey Mountain. You will not be disappointed!

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote