MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
cpot4291
Got Wood.

Cool Help with mods on WSM 18.5

Im looking into getting the Pitmaster IQ 110 with a Maverick 733 or instead of getting that set up maybe getting a DigiQ with the Viper fan? What are your guys opinions on which is worth it more an what not? ?Any other suggestions also let me know thanks!
cpot4291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

I just use the 732 but do not do a lot of overnight cooks. The temp is so steady on the WSM I don't have a need to regulate the temp with an ATC.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Mine ran better without the IQ110. I quit using it.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I run the Digi Q on both my 18 and 22 and my temps are so rock solid it's like an oven. One thing I like about the DigiQ is that it can bring the temp down if you overshoot for whatever reason, I'm not sure the IQ can do that.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Fwismoker

My homemade Jimmy smoker is similar and it runs fine w/out the IQ even though i've tried it just to try it. My advice is unless you're doing overnight cooks don't even bother....even if you have to run errands on a Saturday just adjust your vents and go about your business.

Now if you 're doing all night cooks the IQ will manage your fire just fine.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
USMC
is one Smokin' Farker

Instead of getting the 110 and a Maverick, just get the 120 and it will give you more options within one unit.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
hart316
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the 18.5 wsm and do alot of overnight cooks! I have the cyberQ and it works great at maintaining temp steadily. Sure beats getting outta bed to go outside and check the temp status. I also just installed a nomex gasket set to further seal any leaks, with my cajun bandit door I put on last year, which is way better than original. Only downside to cyberq is occasional the interference I get (may look into a better router sometime). I also did the temp probe eyelet mod with the lamp post trick! Awesome!

BTW... it's so nice... I feel like I'm cheating!!! LOL!

Last edited by hart316; 03-20-2014 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: comment
hart316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
cpot4291
Got Wood.

The cyber q isn't wireless or is it?
cpot4291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
hart316
Knows what a fatty is.

the cyber q is wireless, the digi q is not. I just wake up at night, go to the window with my ipod touch and launch the cyberq app/web page to check my temps.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart316 View Post
the cyber q is wireless, the digi q is not. I just wake up at night, go to the window with my ipod touch and launch the cyberq app/web page to check my temps.
Just to put things in perspective i look over to the night stand at my Maverick.

Now I can't check the grills temps from the mall but don't have any desire too.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
hart316
Knows what a fatty is.

That is nice! I got my stuff from firecraft, simply because they had free shipping over $99. Was cheaper than from bbqguru... go figure! I just wanted just one device for all and not multiple to fiddle with and worrying about getting it wet on rainy days.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
That is nice! I got my stuff from firecraft, simply because they had free shipping over $99. Was cheaper than from bbqguru... go figure! I just wanted just one device for all and not multiple to fiddle with and worrying about getting it wet on rainy days.
LOL... yea i gotcha. I just don't use my ATC that often, heck i don't use my ET 732 that often either.

More often than not anymore it's gonna be the cheap non wireless Maverick or the instant read therm. Overnight cooks i'll do the ATC and Mav is the exception.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
hart316
Knows what a fatty is.

another factor for me was hanging the iq on the handle or whatever nearby. I have no table or anything nearby, and especially for rainy cooks, which for some reason only happens when I decide to do overnight cooks,... it NEVER fails!

Seriously, we can have a perfect week, but the Saturday I want to bbq, it will call for rain.

The fan being built in, not sure how long it would last to pouring rain, without an enclosure of some type, and one that would be vented, to suck air from. I saw one constructed with pvc and rubbermaid, didn't want to hassle. CyberQ has done me well, as I was one of the first that ever had this puppy, when it was released.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #14
Fwismoker

Quote:
another factor for me was hanging the iq on the handle or whatever nearby. I have no table or anything nearby, and especially for rainy cooks, which for some reason only happens when I decide to do overnight cooks,... it NEVER fails!

Seriously, we can have a perfect week, but the Saturday I want to bbq, it will call for rain.

The fan being built in, not sure how long it would last to pouring rain, without an enclosure of some type, and one that would be vented, to suck air from. I saw one constructed with pvc and rubbermaid, didn't want to hassle. CyberQ has done me well, as I was one of the first that ever had this puppy, when it was released.
I get the thing about the rain. I made this box minus the battery pack for my IQ.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
crimsonaudio
On the road to being a farker

Not sure why a well-seasoned WSM needs any sort of fan system - mine will chug along at 250°*all night long. I never get up to check on it and it's virtually always within ±15° of the temp I had to coasting at before bed.
crimsonaudio is offline   Reply With Quote