• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

For ALL KCBS Members

Candy Sue

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Please get informed and VOTE in the up-coming election! The future of KCBS is in the hands of the members who VOTE. Please don't not vote, then sit on the sidelines and complain. If you VOTE for the candidates whose platforms agree with your positions, you'll have a voice on the board of KCBS. Then complain, I guarantee the board does listen! But, please VOTE!!!

Please get informed and VOTE in the up-coming election! The future of KCBS is in the hands of the members who VOTE. Please don't not vote, then sit on the sidelines and complain. If you VOTE for the candidates whose platforms agree with your positions, you'll have a voice on the board of KCBS. Then complain, I guarantee the board does listen! But, please VOTE!!!

Is there a list of Nominees somewhere ?

Nomination closed on 10/31. Here's the slate, I'm sorry it's not up under KCBS News yet (really should be!).

STATE
Incumbent: Gene Goycochea. CA
Candidates: Sonny Ashford. NE
Forrest Bruce. KS
Kim Collier MO
Dave Compton. IA
Steve Farrin MA
Steve Grinstead. OH
Larry Hadley. KS
William "BJ" Hoffman. IA
David Londeen. MN
George Mullins. TX
Dennis Polson. KS
DennyMike Sherman ME
Jeff Stith. MO

Thanks for the reminder. I was amazed at the low percentage of members who voted last year.

Some really good candidates on that list. Everyone needs to pay close attention. Should be very interesting.

Can I have 8 or 9 votes?

Since when and why does KCBS allow candidates to access personal information of members and send out an email "begging" for votes? Here is one I got Monday..... (BTW, when I got one last year and questioned it, I was told that it would not be allowed again).

I am running for the KCBS Board for another term and would appreciate your support

I want to be your voice in BBQ
I for the past 3 years have made it clear that you can call me on BBQ issues my number is (619) 600-8320, I am willing to discuss anything related to BBQ and KCBS
I eat, live and sleep BBQ, I was a competitor, I judge, I am a contest rep, I am also a judging instructor. I am retired and have the time to commit to my position on the board, I have nothing financial to gain, I am here to represent the membership as a whole
I currently am responsible for membership, membership is up 60% since I took on this duty 3 years ago.
I have an excellent voting record, I represent the membership.
I would appreciate your vote.
My phone number is: 619-600-8320
My e-mail is: ggoycochea@kcbs.us
Gene GoycocheaGENE GOYCOCHEA FOR KCBS BOARD OF DIRECTORS

BTW, after I received the email, I forwarded it to KCBS as well as a copy to Gene.... I have not heard a word from anyone.....

This answer was posted by Gene on another forum that had a running discussion about the same topic

"I can settle this for everyone, this is not from any list of e-mails from KCBS that I do not have access to anyway.... this is a list of old and new e-mail lists of mine and many friends and organizers around the Country that are helping me..... I used to be the largest organizer, a friend of mine is now, between these lists, i sent out approx. 2600 e-mails yesterday, about 600 bounced back as old non existent, none are from KCBS or its database."

Thanks. If you or anyone else hasn't figured it out, I AM a very aggressive anti-spammer, and since I did not ask for any information from Gene, that is just exactly what that is classified as....

Thanks again for the answer. Now, how does one get their email removed from that list?????

still a bit discomforting.

i don't think a spammish tactic like that will get anyone very far.

i'm also not so happy to hear organizers sharing others personal contact info. i don't care if they were the biggest or smallest.

moreover, i think i'd ask for a list of those "organizers helping" to be sure i don't ever give them personal info again.

still a bit discomforting.

i don't think a spammish tactic like that will get anyone very far.

i'm also not so happy to hear organizers sharing others personal contact info. i don't care if they were the biggest or smallest.

I bet you can't guess who I did NOT vote for???? LOL

that should be part of the contract for an organizer that they will NOT sell, give, or trade any personal information of cook teams, judges, reps or any other person that is associated with the event.....

Boogie,
I couldn't agree with you more. While nothing illegal happened, something unethical did happen. I wondered how my name got into someone else's hands and now I know. Do we have to ask that a privacy clause be put in every registration now to keep people from sharing for unethical practices? Add a check box that allows people to share our information? I WOULD HOPE NOT! Something about one bad apple...
I guess desperate times call for desperate measures!

I haven't entered a contest on my own since '08, yet I still receive several e-mail blasts and/or pamphlets in the mail at home announcing contests each season... These appear to be from organizers I've never competed at other contests they ran. :confused:

Boogie,
I couldn't agree with you more. While nothing illegal happened, something unethical did happen. I wondered how my name got into someone else's hands and now I know. Do we have to ask that a privacy clause be put in every registration now to keep people from sharing for unethical practices? Add a check box that allows people to share our information? I WOULD HOPE NOT! Something about one bad apple...
I guess desperate times call for desperate measures!

agreed again. while there is no clause or checkbox currently, one can only imagine, if they thought this would pan out well, what other ideas might they implement?

now we have another issue. :doh:

Personal Rant: I did not receive this eMail, but from listening to the last couple of board meetings, it became plainly obvious to me that this board in general and a few directors in particular don't at all respect the privacy of individuals when it comes to eMail. There was talk about sending out unsolicited eMails for various purposes, and spammer tendencies of "opt out," when in fact people should only ever have to opt in. I don't appreciate that. I haven't brought it up because I didn't want to be a pain in the ass about it, but unsolicited eMails are wrong.

dmp

OK guys, I'm not friends or anything with Gene but I'm going to defend him sending unsolicited emails. And nothing unethical happened, BJ. GEESH! The man collected emails and sent what's called a CAMPAIGN message out to a very targeted audience. If you don't want it, block him or just tell him politely to remove your name from his list. It's not spam until you tell him it is, at least not to him. In 2009, I sent out weekly emails to approximately 800 people I collected from various emails, etc. that I had saved over recent years. Occasionally, I'd get a message back from someone asking to be removed. I politely acknowledged their request and immediately removed them from the mailing lists. I created a dialogue with myself and anyone who asked questions in response. Very effective. And it almost worked. I went from being a "who the hell is that?" to someone recognized across the country and fell only 51 votes short. Just because you get an unsolicited email in your inbox doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Y'all are making it sound like a crime or an inconvenience.

Back