MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #946
CarrsvilleSmoker
Got Wood.

I ended up going with 4 inch long nipples. The instructions I had originally received called for 6 inch ones. I am still trying to decide on a charcoal basket. I have an old 18 inch weber that I picked up on Freecycle that I might try to turn into a charcoal basket. I remember seeing something similar on here with an 18 inch weber.
CarrsvilleSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #947
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny 13 View Post
OK, I'm trying my second trial run on my UDS to see if I got all the bugs worked out. It appears that the culprit causing my temps to drop and not go back up was the charcoal basket sitting directly on the terra cotta ashpan. Air was not able to get to the charcoal from below at all, so when the stuff on top burned and started to form a little ash the stuff on the bottom was unable to ignite. There were probably 18 - 20 unburned briquettes underneath the burned.

Got rid of the ashpan all together and raised the charcoal basket about 3/4" to make sure I'm getting good airflow. Now I only have 23-3/4" clearance between the charcoal grate & bottom cooking grate, which should be fine.

Anyway, I put another 9# bag of briquettes in the basket and poured 1/2 chimney of lit coals into the cavity in the middle. Took 3 minutes to get up to 225* and it's now coasting at 229* for about 15 minutes with one 1/2" inlet completely open and the 1/2" ball valve cracked open about 1/3 of the way.

You got it bro, just kick it once an hour to drop the ashes and she'll run there all day long!!!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #948
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
This ashpan may help. My UDS is now upside down, I cut the bottom out so that I could get to the ashes for easy cleanup. I used the lid from a donor and made a ashpan. I cut is about 1.5" smaller then the drum so the drum would be easy to lift over the charcoal basket and ashpan and set on the stand. After several cooks I think I am having a little trouble controlling the temps due I think to some air intake where the drum meets the stand. Nothing major, but I am going to weld two rings to the stand for the drum to fit into. I will put stove gasket between the rings so that it should be pretty airtight around the bottom of the drum allowing me more control with the intakes.
what do you mean upside down? pics? Did I miss something?

Old 03-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #949
elyhill
Found some matches.

Hey everybody been reading this for 2 days to get thru it all. GREAT STUFF, just got a Harbor Freight ad and the step drills are on sale with a coupon $8.99 for 3 different ones.
elyhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #950
Kenny 13
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
[/color]

You got it bro, just kick it once an hour to drop the ashes and she'll run there all day long!!!
Well, unfortunately it didn't work out that way. All my charcoal burned out in the middle of the basket, failing to ignite the unlit coals and burn outward. It looks as though giving the drum a good whack let the ash fall through the basket and the lit coals may have lost contact with the unlit.

I left all 4 inlets and the exhaust wide open with the temp at 205* and just let it go. When I got up this morning I saw that the charcoal had burned out, leaving about 3/4 of it unburned. I think next time, instead of making a cavity in the middle of the unlit and pouring in the lit, I'm just going to pour the lit on top and let it spread out a little. I see that many just light there's in the basket with a weed burner and this would be similar.
Kenny 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #951
Kenny 13

Well I'm giving the UDS another shot here, but this time with food. Got a fatty and 4.5# of chicken wings going over briquettes and some apple wood chunks. This time just poured 1/2 chimney of lit coals over the unlit rather than worrying about making a cavity in the center.

I've noticed so far and I don't know if its because of drippings hitting the coals or just because I poured the lit over the unlit, but I'm getting higher temps with fewer vents open. Hope to have some pics to post later (if I can figure out how ).

Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #952
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Keep after it man and try not to open the lid as this will help keep the temos under control. How wide is your fire basket?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #953
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny 13 View Post
This time just poured 1/2 chimney of lit coals over the unlit rather than worrying about making a cavity in the center.
Yeah, I just dump the lit coals evenly over the top of the fire basket. I dump them fully lighted and grey... Never had a flame out unless I deliberately close the vents.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #954
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

This seems like a good thread for a sticky. What about it mods? Is is too long?

Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #955
Kenny 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Keep after it man and try not to open the lid as this will help keep the temos under control. How wide is your fire basket?
My charcoal basket is 16" diameter and 8" deep. Going well so far - about 45 minutes into the cook the drum is holding in the 240* - 245* range with only my 1/2" ball valve barely cracked open and exhaust (webber kettle lid) wide open.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #956
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Perfect! Enjoy the trouble free smokin.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #957
Kenny 13

Still going great! Drum temp has been up and down between 239* & 246* with no adjustments. I'm 1-1/2 hours into the cook and still only have my 1/2" ball valve just barely cracked open and exhaust wide open - sitting on 246* with the fatty at 143*.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #958
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

hcarter, the thread is roadmapped. Got the UDS going today with loin ribs, boneless butts and fatties.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #959
hcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
hcarter, the thread is roadmapped. Got the UDS going today with loin ribs, boneless butts and fatties.

I am jealous. I didn't get to do anything had to work third shift Sat night/Sun morning. Just too tired. Smoke on Brother.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #960
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Man, I can't believe I read the whole thread. (not in one sitting) Have acquired 2 drums, with lids, and have started acquiring parts and pieces. Will start build soon.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker