• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Stolen Tri-Tip!!!

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, not exactly. I went to my local supermarket yesterday and was browsing the meat department. :crazy: I saw 4 tri-tips, they were ungraded or select. This place doesn't have higher grade meats. So to my surprise one of the four tri-tips looked super super good! I was like :twitch: and did a double take. I saw the marbling and had no choice but to steal it from them! This tri-tip had better marbling than choice grades and as good as most prime.

20130125_093205.jpg

I had to just fire up the Big Joe today, but the day started off kind of foggy.

20130125_135613.jpg

A few hours later.

20130125_131853.jpg

Love this combo. Oakridge Habanero & Santa Maria

20130125_130555.jpg

20130125_130641.jpg

Trying to keep the tip a bit colder for more even cooking.

20130125_131831.jpg

20130125_135836.jpg

Set up dual zone with the split heat deflector.

20130125_140622.jpg

Reverse done, now the sear

20130125_141126.jpg

20130125_141845.jpg

20130125_142134.jpg

Wow looks good. That rub you put on there looks amazing where can I buy some? Good Job on that Tri tip. I feel so bad for people who can't get this cut of meat. But I guess that's more for us:)

Please 'steal" and cook one for me. Looks perfectly cooked - it is what I would call medium rare - my favourite.
John

Looks good to me! And, keep rubbing that Monterey weather in my face, would you? Show off! :laugh:

Wow looks good. That rub you put on there looks amazing where can I buy some? Good Job on that Tri tip. I feel so bad for people who can't get this cut of meat. But I guess that's more for us:)

That would be Oakridge BBQ Co. AWESOME rubs!

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/

Hope this helps!

Man that looks good, I bet it was as good ad it looked. I have a similar vegetable basket I use on the grill, works great to keep small things from falling through the grill grates.

Tri-tip is probably my favorite cut of meat. Yours looks like it's cooked to perfection!! Now stop teasing us with the weather pics!!!! :biggrin1:

Looks good to me! And, keep rubbing that Monterey weather in my face, would you? Show off! :laugh:
Never man, just wanted to share the crazy contrast that can happen in an hours time. Crazy weather here.
Does the frozen peas trick really work?
Yes it does. It's pretty much the same concept that people do with turkey breasts. As you can see in the sliced photo, the tip part still has pink in the middle. Normally that would be less pink or just flat out gray. Try it :thumb:

Loaf of bread just came out of the oven.
I think some of that steak would be fine init.
Your traffic lights stay red a long time.
Cheers.
Titch

Those look fan-farkin-tastic! Nice job Smoothsmoke!

I have never had tri-tip. :sad: It must not be much of a midwest thing, kinda like Pork Steaks are regional I'm guessing. However thanks to the Brethren, I do have them on my radar now!

Wow, that looks awesome. I love that entire area and love to golf up there, but the best part is you actually have a great view.....of the liquor store. :thumb:

Back