Memphis Dry Rubbed Ribs

I am interested in the Peg Leg Porker method. What kind of rub would go on after cooking? Maybe experiment with a standard memphis dry rub or meatheads memphis dust?

maybe i missed it but what is the binder they use after smoking to stick the rub to it?

I rarely cook anything but dry rubbed ribs, and never wrap. Never works out well with loinbacks, there isn't enough fat to keep them moist. All the Memphis dry rub ribs I've ever seen were spareribs of some sort.

Most, but not all, of the places in Memphis use baby back (loin) ribs. I agree with you in that I think spareribs, etc are juicier and less apt to dry out.

Was in Memphis earlier today and stopped at Central BBQ for lunch. Shared a half rack and a pork sandwich (first time there). We always cook our ribs dry (my family prefers them that way). Then they add sauce if they feel like it when they eat them. Up until my last cook, never wrapped, spritzed, mopped, etc. Have mostly done baby backs. I will say that I think you have to watch them closely for doneness. Some have turned out really good, while others were just ok. I attribute some of my mediocre results to placement in the cooker and differences in the ribs themselves. Decided to change things up last time with St. Louis and bumping temp to 275. I wrapped for the first time for maybe 45 mins to an hour, and then unwrapped for about 30-35 mins. They turned out quite good. I’m going to try to apply what I learned this last time to some baby backs and see how it goes.

I made some Memphis style dry ribs for the throwdown. I used a dry rub and mopped them every 20-25mins with a vinegar, ketchup, white pepper, and water mix. When finished I gave them another light coating of rub. They were better than the glazed ribs I did.

I've never cooked Memphis dry rubbed ribs, but I have eaten probably 100 racks of them over the years. :grin: The places that specialize in ribs pack the smokers full. I think this helps keep the moisture up. Maybe go with a water pan of some sort. Most places don't use much of a rub during smoking but pour it on heavy before serving. some seem to grill or smoke hot and fast. They then hold for a good while to get tender, then throw on a grill to set the bark and help the rub stick better. They especially do this if you order wet or muddy, which is sauced then hit again with rub.

Back