Titch, please slap some Aussie butchers for me!

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Few weeks ago I bought an Australian Wagyu brisket. My sister and a nephew wanted me to do another brisket so they are paying for it. I thawed it over the weeked to cook today.

I wasn't entirely happy when I got it out of the package yesterday. This butcher really lived up to his name. :mad2::mad2:
Big cut in the flat and, you can't really see it in the pictures, the tip of the flat was barely holding on, looked like somebody tried to tear of a piece of the flat.

Anyway, rubbed with SPOG and went on the pellet pooper yesterday evening at 225F. Checked at 8am this morning and it had a nice color but wanted it a bit darker. Wrapped in BP at 10:30am for the final stretch. Forgot to turn up the temp :roll: checked at 12pm and still not the right feel. Turned the heat up to 300F. At 1:15pm it was probing like butter so I put it in the oven for a nice long rest at 140F.

ed191689b772f746cd670a5447162a6b.jpg

a718450e48878d8cd5a8a32987db8c43.jpg

0b8bd32cd8476608f4b6703c42dccb9c.jpg

b51a2a76d8236f600a2b5c1d516a983d.jpg

cd44f307b5f5fa5805f7494e05b400c9.jpg

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, I get briskets from Costco like that all the time. Sometimes I'll use a few toothpicks to hold the two pieces against one another, other times I'll just cook it as is. Moo Gloo could be an option too.

Don't feel bad, I get briskets from Costco like that all the time. Sometimes I'll use a few toothpicks to hold the two pieces against one another, other times I'll just cook it as is. Moo Gloo could be an option too.

It's for eating so it's not that bad but considering the amount of money involved (20euro/kg) I would have preferred something a bit less 'butchered'.

I had some epoxy glue nearby but the misses wouldn't let me reconstruct it :mad2: :wacko::mrgreen:

I'm not an expert on international livestock transportation, but there's been quite a bit of a kerfuffle in the news here in Australia recently about live stock exports (and how cruel they are for the animals), which i would think means that the cattle are shipped from Australia while they're alive, so the cattle would be slaughtered and butchered by butchers in the country the cattle is exported.

IMHO the best Australian Wagyu comes from the following producers; Sher Wagyu and Rangers Valley Black Onyx - if you see either of those in your store you'll enjoy what you eat!

As a point of interest, Wagyu brisket cost us Aussies $20/$25 per kilogram, which is 2.2lb. Costco sell pretty good Australia-raised, prime grade briskets for around $9 per kilo (2.2lbs).

The best US-style BBQ restaurant in Melbourne charges $13 per 100 grams for brisket, which equates to $130 per kilo (or 2.2lbs) - yes, i know!

I really doubt they are shipping live cattle over seas. That would be a very bad way to make money. First of all, just hauling a steer in a trailer, can be very stressful on them. They can lose quite a bit a weight, in a very short time. Most of it is waste, but it is still weight you are not getting paid for. Also, cramming a bunch of cattle in a tight area, generates a lot heat, I would imagine, you would have a lot of deaths in the summer time. Then you have to worry about food and water for the trip. Having cleaned many of stock trailer, I sure wouldn't want to be the guy cleaning the containers.

I'm not an expert on international livestock transportation, but there's been quite a bit of a kerfuffle in the news here in Australia recently about live stock exports (and how cruel they are for the animals), which i would think means that the cattle are shipped from Australia while they're alive, so the cattle would be slaughtered and butchered by butchers in the country the cattle is exported.

IMHO the best Australian Wagyu comes from the following producers; Sher Wagyu and Rangers Valley Black Onyx - if you see either of those in your store you'll enjoy what you eat!

As a point of interest, Wagyu brisket cost us Aussies $20/$25 per kilogram, which is 2.2lb. Costco sell pretty good Australia-raised, prime grade briskets for around $9 per kilo (2.2lbs).

The best US-style BBQ restaurant in Melbourne charges $13 per 100 grams for brisket, which equates to $130 per kilo (or 2.2lbs) - yes, i know!

Back