Question about seasoning lone star mini

Zaq123

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I received my new Lonestargrillz insulated mini cabinet smoker. First off first rate crate job. Couldn’t have been better done. First impression, it’s built like a tank and bigger than you think for a ‘mini’. I seasoned it with 4 cans of Pam. First run with just charcoal lasted 18 hours mostly 225-250 and I still had 1/3rd of the charcoal left. Second run was 18 hours at 275. It holds temps amazingly steady. Went to bed at 279 degrees woke up 8 hours later it was 264 degrees. That is just the ball valve no fan controller..

My question is, there is an oily film on everything. Did I season it too much? When I pull the grates out I get oil on my hands. Do I just wipe with a clean rag before use? Or soap and water? Thanks for the advice. Planning first cook this weekend

2nd time I've seen this. Yep, too much oil. I used 1 can on my 24x55 elevated cabinet shirley with warmer. No harm in wiping it out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, 4 cans is probably 3 1/2 too many. I would just wipe it down. You want some grease on it, to prevent rust.

So I received my new Lonestargrillz insulated mini cabinet smoker. First off first rate crate job. Couldn’t have been better done. First impression, it’s built like a tank and bigger than you think for a ‘mini’. I seasoned it with 4 cans of Pam. First run with just charcoal lasted 18 hours mostly 225-250 and I still had 1/3rd of the charcoal left. Second run was 18 hours at 275. It holds temps amazingly steady. Went to bed at 279 degrees woke up 8 hours later it was 264 degrees. That is just the ball valve no fan controller..

My question is, there is an oily film on everything. Did I season it too much? When I pull the grates out I get oil on my hands. Do I just wipe with a clean rag before use? Or soap and water? Thanks for the advice. Planning first cook this weekend

I made the same mistake on my PeeWee this summer.

I ended up cleaning out the inside and starting over using much less oil.

Also, I found it better to not get any oil on the stainless racks as it does turn sticky and then your food will stick to it like crazy.

Back