Quinoa Black Bean Burgers

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yes, you read that thread title correctly. No, I'm not jumping to the dark side. Somewhere during the last few months I was sent this link for Quinoa Black Bean burgers, could have been through Weight Watchers, I don't recall for sure.

I'm game to try anything, and honestly, these looked pretty darn good. And they are. I've only made them a handful of times, usually in a cast iron frying pan on the stove. They're pretty tasty, but I've gotta say doing this out on the grill kicked them up a bit.

There are numerous recipes on the web, the one I'm using is on allrecipes.com. It's basically Quinoa (which I've never made prior to these burgers), black beans, bread crumbs, cumin, egg, red & yellow peppers, onion, Frank's Red Hot sauce. Smash the black beans into a paste, leaving some amount whole, add the cooked Quinoa and all the other ingredients. Form into five patties.

The patties, yeah they kinda look like regular burgers -

I made one yesterday on the stove, they do tend to fall apart a bit if you flip them too often. Obviously the trick is to get a decent crust before flipping them. So, outside on the Weber kettle on a cast iron griddle, indirect today.

After about 40 minutes or so, I wasn't in much of a hurry. They're taking on a decent crust and did get some good smoke flavor. I think total grilling time was almost an hour.

With some melted cheddar, a Frank's Red Hot/mayo sauce, lettuce, tomato, grilled peppers and onions.

Quite a good "burger" for a midweek lunch!

Thanks for checking out today's vegetarian lunch. Give these a try. You may be surprised at how good they are.

-lunchman

They are not bad I have gotten the frozen ones Good with Ketchup, cheese , tomato, and or avocado

Mrs. 4ever3 makes them often and they are really, but I can’t handle the texture but her and the kids love them!

Quinoa.bmp

on a scale from 1 to 10 how tasty they are?

On a scale from 1 to 10 I'd rate these about a 9. No, I haven't lost my mind, :loco: they're really quite good.

I've bought veggie burgers from the store for cookouts where we had some guests who requested them. I've tried the leftovers and thought a hockey puck might have more flavor, always wondering how people eat these. Perhaps it's the cumin and the Frank's Red Hot in the mix which makes these tasty. The diced peppers and onions help too.

The small bag of Quinoa I bought is specifically for these burgers, I have no idea what to do with it otherwise. :becky:

I wasn't trying to get myself banned from the forum by posting this. :wink: But if you've got vegetarian friends you're cooking for, these are a lot better than some store bought variety.

Let me see what meat dish I can grill up and post next to make amends. Hmm, salmon's on the menu for dinner.

-lunchman

Bonus footage, :grin: not a veggie burger, not beef or pork, but an excellent grilled salmon.

I hope that atones for my sins. :pray:

-lunchman

Thanks for the tutorial, I have a couple of vegetarian friends that would like these.

Yours look very tasty.

My wife is vegetarian. Might have to try them.

Thanks,
Scott

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'd be down for a veggie burger now and then. Yours look outstanding.

Nice!! I make some homemade black bean burgers that I love and also get some store bought from costco. I'll check this recipe out. I also like my meat burger garnished with my veggie burger because my game got no shame :icon_smile_tongue: :becky:

THAT'S IT, I'M DONE WITH MEAT!!!!
Somebody get me PETA's phone number.
Ed

I'd pry try one, they just don't look very appetizing.

The small bag of Quinoa I bought is specifically for these burgers, I have no idea what to do with it otherwise. :becky:

I like quinoa, hardly eat rice anymore. I add some vegetables into the pot of boiling liquid at the same time I add the quinoa. As long as you use hardy vegies that can hang with the 20 minute simmer time. I use 1 part quinoa to 1.5 parts liquid. I think the packages say to use a 1:2 quinoa:liqud ratio, like rice. I find that to be a bit mushy for my tastes.

Btw, tasty looking patties you made there.

Back