MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

Default White smoke!!!

So I fired up my new to me Lang 48 today just to play with it. I wasn’t going to put any meat in as I was just going to try and figure out how to manage temps. I started out with a few handfuls of lump and 4 sticks. Stack was open, smoker door was open, dampers we’re open and fire box door was open. After 30 minutes the fire was going good and hot I closed both doors. At the 45 minute mark I added one more stick. The smoke had cleared to a nice blue smoke at about 250 degrees but after adding the stick it was bellowing white smoke again. I opened the fire box about an inch and that cleared up the white smoke after about 10minutes. The temp rose to about 300 at about 1.5 hours in. I close the box door and let it go. At about 2 hours it was at 325 and I was going to close the dampers, stack and box some to try to maintain 275 -300. I added another stick and once again it started billowing white nasty smoke. The only way to clear it was to open the door to the fire box. This wood is dry. It’s been cut for about 2 years and it’s been covered to keep the rain off of it. Why would it start smoking real bad white smoke every time I add a split? This stick burner thing is new to me so any help would be appreciated. I understand temp control as I have used a big green egg before but never a stick burner.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Av8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

I've done exactly the same thing. I'm not sure this'll help, but I typically heat up my splits / wood before I add them.

I've never been able to get the white smoke to not happen, but the faster the new split catches and I get flames, the faster I get back to thin blue.

Airflow, and pre-heated wood are suggestions I'll put on the table.

Hope that provides some options / thoughts to clear up the issue.

Kind regards from Out West,
Shadow / Marc
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Leave the FB door open when you add a stick for 2-3 minutes.

Edit: a little white smoke is ok. If I'm not getting enough smoke I'll add a green one to get more smoke flavor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

I placed my split on the fire box prior to adding them. They were good and hot!! One started smoking.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Leave the FB door open when you add a stick for 2-3 minutes

I left it cracked for about 10 minutes and every time I shut it here comes the white smoke.

This was a choke the kids while playing nearby kinda smoke.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
I placed my split on the fire box prior to adding them. They were good and hot!! One started smoking.
*chuckle* - I've also had great variation in wood.

It's always a new adventure with every cook.

Edit: - Just saw your comment about shutting the door - most times I have to do this slowly. Can't shut the door, etc. Small, baby steps. - 1 change, then wait to see the effects... then go from there. Rinse, and repeat.
[B]Hardware[/B] - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)

Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
pjtexas1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
I left it cracked for about 10 minutes and every time I shut it here comes the white smoke.
Either need more airflow or airflow is being obstructed. Was the wood seasoned covered?

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])

Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Either need more airflow or airflow is being obstructed. Was the wood seasoned covered?

Yep for about 2 years under a roof.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Typically you will get some extra smoke when you add splits not a ton. The thing is to limit the time and getting back to TBS quickly. The short time that you have the white smoke is not going ti ruin your cook. Keep your splits warm and make sure you have extra airflow for a couple on min.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
ShadowDriver

Apologies for the multiple posts in succession...

This topic helps me understand the "cook where your cooker settles-in / likes" discussion.

I've had times when I could control my offset down to 5-10F... other times when she controls me, and holds what she wants (310-325F).

Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
pjtexas1

If your temp was stable for 1.5 hours maybe the sticks are too big. Try splitting in half.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
lankster35
Take a breath!

I heat my sticks up on top the fire box AND put the next stick in the firebox right at the front behind the door. I generally leave the door open about 2-3 inches (never close mine all the way) and by leaving the next stick in the firebox, but in front of the fire, when it is ready to throw on the fire it just ignites. Sometimes it lights prematurely but we all have had that happen.....

Old 03-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
If your temp was stable for 1.5 hours maybe the sticks are too big. Try splitting in half.

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the opening post.On a smaller smoker you will have a smaller coal bed. Small coal bed plus big split = white smoke. I might be wrong though.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #14
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

As a general rule, bad smoke is the result of the fire not getting enough air for complete combustion. Whenever you are getting bad smoke, I would open the firebox door so that the fire can get more oxygen. I leave mine open most of the time.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #15
Av8er
is one Smokin' Farker

What size splits should I be running?