Where to buy hickory

Cali-Smoke-Addict

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just moved from the San Diego area to DFW area of Texas, and I need to get some hickory logs, anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks in advance!!

You don't say how much you are looking for, but most Albertsons grocery stores sell Big John hickory, pecan, oak and mesquite grilling wood. Ricks and cords I don't have a clue.

In the past i have been able to buy logs in 50 -60 lb gunny sacks, but that was California. I will check out the bbq aisle at the local grocery.

Thanks

If you Google Albertson's DFW it will come a map of their Metroplex locations. The Albertsons in Amarillo is stocked deep and wide in front of the store of sacks of Big John grilling logs. Guessing they are in the 35-50# range for 12-14$ sack

If you are looking for quantity, check out Arnold Brothers in Irving. They supply most of the large BBQ companies in D/FW. If you just need some bags, then grocery stores or any of the BBQ supplies store (BBQ Galore, etc) will have those.

Thanks guys, for now, I just need a few bags for personal use. Haven't looked at what is required for a catering business yet here in Tx. I know, I know, just what Tx needs, another bbq caterer...

HEB carries bags of assorted logs for cooking. They usually have hickory along with oak, mesquite & pecan (around here, anyway).

here in DFW, you can find plenty lf oak, both live oak and red oak. Red oak is very similar to hickory, IMO. Hickory is harder to find -- and sometimes red oak is sold as hickory.

You can get hickory chunks for a good price at Academy stores, and short "logs" there, too. Not a good bulk source.

Lots of pecan in East Texas, which is one of my favorites. Tons of it in Southeast Texas.

After a good springtime storm in the DFW area, there is a lot of oak available for free, if you have a saw and a strong back.

CD

I just returned from an HEB grocery store and purchased a 2cf bag of hickory logs for less than $10.00. They also had mesquite as well. Hope this helps.

I did a search for Big john's grillwood and this thread came up. I love pecan and was at the local HD and they had 2cf bags for $13 in my area. I am excited to give it a try. For those that have used it how is it?

Hmm... seeing as there are a ton of pecan trees here.... lol

this is my favorite wood to use.

what part of DFW are you in now? i have a guy that sells me 25 pieces for $20, they are roughly 20" - 24" pie shapes

Back