120 Gal Tank build thread...

Just thinking here.... but are you going to secure the tuning plates somehow, or just let them slide? If you find a trailer (and maybe a forklift) that you want to mount it to or carry it on, it might help to prevent the plates from moving after you have figured out the tuning.

I am sure you have it worked out though, it is really coming along.
Thanks Frog... No I am not planning on securing the tuning plates. I think the point of the tuning plates is so they can be moved and you can direct the heat where you want it, or you can even out the entire smoker. Example: If im doing chicken and ribs I can make the food grates by the FB a bit hotter to do the chicken and still have the ribs side not as hot as to not cook them as fast. Well that's my thoughts in theory. :thumb: But no... not welding them in... gonna put them on a slide rail.

No advice from me brudder!:shock:

Fark, you know what you're doin'!:jaw:
:thumb: Thanks Bill. Just trying to get her done! Thanks for the support tho. :becky:

did I miss an angled deflector plate from firebox into the cook chamber? Or do you think one is not needed with the tuning plates?? This is really an impressive build! Nice job!
Thanks gtsum, I think the baffle helps a little but it's not the most important thing. As long as your tuning plates and be butted up to your FB with as little gap as possible you should be good. You do however want to have something right up against your FB to take that "edge" off the not-so-direct-but-still-direct heat.. :shocked: :thumb: :becky:

Awesome, AWESOME rig! You definitely got the skills to pay the bills.
Thanks Sean... :thumb:

Aight guys gonna try get some chit done today... I'll have another update a little later if the rains hold up.

Cheers.

Greetings guys... We got in a good amount of work on the smoker today. All detail stuff so it doesn't look that different, but the details starting to come together nicely :thumb:. We got the choke for the exhaust cut, assembled & installed. Then fabricated & welded on the handles for the food grates. Got the slides for the tuning plates in as well. The coal tray now has a tighter mesh on there so small coals wont fall thru easily. Started cleaning up the welds around the smoker as well as finishing up the door welds and smoothing those out... All in all a productive day. Hopefully I can to a good burn out to loosen the paint then grind and paint early this week. Can't wait! Kinda want to just light her up and throw on some ribs!!! :becky::becky::becky: My feet are killing me now tho but the day was worth it! Now on to the build Pron. Let me know what you all think.

Cheers guys!

Attachments

• screen-capture-364.jpg
    screen-capture-364.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,230
  • screen-capture-376.jpg
    screen-capture-376.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,210
  • screen-capture-375.jpg
    screen-capture-375.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,213
  • screen-capture-373.jpg
    screen-capture-373.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • screen-capture-371.jpg
    screen-capture-371.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,212
  • screen-capture-370.jpg
    screen-capture-370.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,213
  • screen-capture-368.jpg
    screen-capture-368.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,329
  • screen-capture-367.jpg
    screen-capture-367.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • screen-capture-365.jpg
    screen-capture-365.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,211
I'll take 1 please. Looks awesome! That's some pretty clean fabricating you did, those cuts were straighter than a ruler!

WOW!!!

Nice smoker, and GREAT thread!!!:clap2::becky::clap2::becky::clap2:

This thread NEEDS a sticky!!

I want one......BAD!
Nice work Phrasty!!!

Thanks guys! I do kinda owe it to the brethren! I have learnt a whole lot here, and this project has definitely come together smoother cuz of the site. By just having a place to post my progress, reflect on it and use this thread as a planning accessory is very helpful! Also having a great set of people saying they like what I'm doing is very encouraging as well! So Thank you guys! I don't want to sound all "kiss-ass" but on a different level... Respect due!

We are definitely on track time-wise! About to head outside and do some touch up work on it soon, but hopefully she will be all done by the end of this week... providing the grinding off of the paint goes smoothly. Want to do a big burn out either tonight or tomorrow. Will definitely post up some shots of that. Question: For the burn out do I put the fire on the Firebox or the smoke chamber? I'm thinking the SC and it will get the temps hotter... and hotter is better for the burn out (off) correct?

Once again, Thanks guys! :thumb:
Cheers!

hell build a bon fire around that beast i dont think you could hurt her.

edit:
btw now that i see your build i can understand the 8'fence with the razor wire topper.:thumb:

Phrasty, keep the pics coming brother, this thread is awesome. If the rest of us had your skills this thread would overtake the UDS one. However, I would have to learn the welding/cutting stuff on the fly, not the best thing to start with. I want a 120 gallon within the next year or two. Where did you pick up the fabricating skills???

Things been slowing down a little with the smoker... Did a little work on her today. Got on some proper legs, put some "handles" on the tuning plates as well as some more grinding on those "earlier" welds. She's coming together quite nicely if I might say so. Hoping to do a burn tomorrow, but we'll see. I've had to do a bit of re-prioritising this week. Such is life. Here are the pics to date..

Oh yeah, my cat has claimed the smoker and her new hunting lookout. :becky:

Cheers

F.Y.I. That's not a hole on the right, I was just testing how easy the paint would come off..

Attachments

• screen-capture-381.jpg
    screen-capture-381.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • screen-capture-382.jpg
    screen-capture-382.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,108
  • screen-capture-383.jpg
    screen-capture-383.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,108
  • screen-capture-384.jpg
    screen-capture-384.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,148
Pharsty, I can't wait to see this baby all dolled up! and cooking!
Nice work bro!

Phrasty, keep the pics coming brother, this thread is awesome. If the rest of us had your skills this thread would overtake the UDS one. However, I would have to learn the welding/cutting stuff on the fly, not the best thing to start with. I want a 120 gallon within the next year or two. Where did you pick up the fabricating skills???
Thanks 42BBQ. I actually taught myself while making my other grills. I've always been pretty good with my hands so I guess it came fairly easy.. It does take time to master. I am by no means a Great welder, but I can definitely get by. Even without proper/formal training. I guess I'm just trying to say its not that hard...

So...what shall I bring,I know you will take care of "dessert" around there.:-D
You can never have too much dessert Phu... :thumb::heh:

Cheers.

She looks just like my dear departed Mimi!
attachment.php

Back