MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Bigabyte, I use commercial sauces mostly, but, I would give him my base recipe without any fears. The problem is I do not work from recipes mostly.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is my BBQ sauce recipe:

1. Salt.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

He has been a member here for two years with many good posts. I say let's give him a little slack on this idea.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Since when has asking for BBQ sauce recipes made someone a troll? The guy said he wanted recipes and that he would make them himself, and compare them to his own subjective opinion to find out what sauce he liked best. Where is the foul with that?

Besides, it's not like he is someone who has just one or two posts and comes in to the forums to try and start stuff up. So where's the foul here?
Yeah, I've to to side with Chris on this one. I found the whole premise a tad humorous, but calling some a troll and/or a thief is a little out of bounds.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
Sounds to me like he is asking everyone to actually send him sauce samples, but I could be wrong
No Sir, I was asking for people to pit their best recipes against one another in an effort to find some really damn great sauces to share with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
First, I've had many GREAT sauces, sauces that stand on their own, sauces that truly
make cardboard taste great. To me, this sauce doesn't compliment BBQ but masks it.
Below is our sauce recipe that compliments the meats and our rubs. It is thin enough
that if used in small amounts compliments the smokey meat flavors. And with that,
IMHO, sauce should never have smoke flavor; that's what the meat is for, right?

Starters:

55oz+- Contadina Tomato Sauce
28oz Steens Pure Cane Syrup
18oz Bama Grape Jelly
6oz Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all of the above and warm.

We use this (above) on chicken.

For pork and beef:

1 part Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
3 parts our sauce (above)

For ribs we'll mix:

2 parts Blues Hog Original
1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
2 parts our sauce
Thank you for the post Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
This guy has copy/pasted exact thread in several BBQ forums.

I may by out of line, but I can't help myself.

TROLL

OR

RECIPE THIEF

OR

SIMPLY DAFT
As I said on another forum, I mentioned this in my original post: "* I will run this on a number of BBQ boards, so this will be quite a task, and I hope to find some interesting differences between them."

So I was never hiding the fact that I did post this in a few different places.

Oh, and I am not a troll as I am not trying to provoke anyone... it could be argued that some of the responses were "troll-like" rather than mine. I was merely hoping for a friendly competition. Doesn't look like it will happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
If he thinks that BBQ is about the sauce, he is already on the wrong track.
Yet sometimes sauces can compliment and improve an already great dish, but arguing this is not the point of the thread.

As mentioned in the edited original post, I did not intend to upset anyone, so I think I will leave things where they stand. Thank you for all of those who supported the idea ;)
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
h00kemh0rns
On the road to being a farker

I say put the original post back up. If someone has a problem with it they don't have to participate in it.

It's not a bad idea and a huge endeavor to take on. I'd be curious what the results were.
h00kemh0rns is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #22
big brother smoke

Yes throw the OP back up, I saw it earlier and did not have time to respond. I will even participate, you won't get the ones I might potentially sell, but I will throw something good into the mix.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #23
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Infernoo is not a troll. He's a good bloke.

I kinda thought it was a lot to ask, and that this would have been recieved better if he was a subscriber, able to make friends etc etc. Anyway, don't dogpile him, he's not a theif, just maybe did not understand the full implications of what he was asking. It would be good if you all could show some encouragement so we can have another interested subscribed member.

Thank You... that's enough seriousness from me today....

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #24
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Infernoo is not a troll. He's a good bloke.

I kinda thought it was a lot to ask, and that this would have been recieved better if he was a subscriber, able to make friends etc etc. Anyway, don't dogpile him, he's not a theif, just maybe did not understand the full implications of what he was asking. It would be good if you all could show some encouragement so we can have another interested subscribed member.

Thank You... that's enough seriousness from me today....

Cheers!

Bill

Wow Bill that's almost warm and fuzzy.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Admin note:

infernoo, I apologize for not catching this earlier. We would have stopped any potential dogpiling.

Nay-sayers, If you dont like how this is presented, then dont participate.. but more importantly, do NOT call out our members. If you see something that may be awry, use the report post button, state your case and the moderating team will work thorough the issues.

Infernoo, I can restore your original thread. Some members are willing to participate. Its up to you, but my vote is to continue your adventure.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #26
landarc

If Bill gets warmed up too much there is gonna be trouble.

A Base Recipe:

4 cups vinegar, I use cider or rice vinegar
1/2 piece of nutmeg coarsely crushed
8 to 10 peppercorns, lightly cracked
5 whole cloves, lightly cracked
2 bay leaves cracked in quarters
1/8 stick cinnamon

Slowly simmer vinegar until reduced to +/- 3 cups, add aromatics and reduce to +/- 2 cups. This should appear a little syrupy. Filter and cool. Filtering must be done hot, do not inhale.

2 cups red wine, I prefer Merlot for this. Any red wine that is not really tannic would work, whatever wine you choose, the flavor will be enhanced. An Aussie GSM would be great.

Reduce by slowly simmering to 1/2 cup, should be syrupy.

Combine the vinegar reduction with the wine reduction. You should have 2-1/2 cups more or less. Add:

1/4 cup Worcestershire or fish sauce
1/2 cup liquid sweetener (honey, malt syrup, agave syrup, medium syrup, corn syrup)
1 tablespoon dry mustard

Adjust sweetness for taste. I prefer a lighter sweetness and will often go with light honey. Heat the vinegar, wine and sweeteners to combine and reduce. You should end up with 3 cups of sauce. This is my base that I add other flavorings to.

Things I add...ketchup, molasses, prepared mustard, bourbon

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

And, by the way infernooo and to others, the sauces I listed above we actually use
in competitions. I've also posted what we use for rubs. Not that I've won so much
that anyone is salivating to shig my stuff. The truth is that even if we make the
exact same rubs and sauces, we'll end up applying them in different amounts and at
different times and using different amounts of smoke and cooking at different temps
that the barbecue will always taste different.

Glean what you can and enjoy making sauces, infernooo.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capozzoli View Post
Here is my BBQ sauce recipe:

1. Salt.

i FRIGGIN LOVE THIS GUY!!!!

LMAO!!!!

Here's my ode to salt

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...salt+rub+funky

Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #29
chambersuac

I didn't see the OP, but I think it's a shame that it turned out this way. It looks like he was asking for sauce recipes, right? Don't we share recipes all the time? Come on guys, you made SmokinAussie get serious for a bit...that should show you something's wrong.

Infernoo, if I had a sauce recipe, I'd share it...I just beg Big Brother Smoke to sell me some of his... LOL

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #30
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

Kinda un-brethren like thread.