BWS Party extended basket

Cigarbque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I have this new to me BWS Party and have heard much about the extended charcoal basket to get longer burn times. Can some of those who have this mod please post some pics? It would give me a handle on what to shoot for. Thanks.

I've had a Party for years, but never got around to doing this mod. I have the expanded metal for it in the shed. If I ever decide I need to spend the time on this mod, i would just make expanded metal walls on all four sides of the basket, leaving them a couple inches under the deflector plate. I would bolt them to the existing walls of the charcoal pan, or have a buddy weld them on. I would also cut out an access opening on the front side of the pan for adding fuel during the cook.

Or you could do a search on the backwoods website forums and see what others have done. I know Ive seen pictures over there before.

I'll look for my pics, but it is a simple mod. I cut 4 pieces of expanded metal about 5 inches high and slightly longer than the fire pan. I bent and overlapped the corners for strength and used stainless wire to join the pieces. It sits snug inside the fire pan and doesn't' fall out when I dump the coals. Oh yeah, the front piece is about an inch shorter so it's easier to add wood or fuel. That's all you need to do for longer burn times!

Here is my basket for my old party, all I did was wire tie some expanded metal and drop it in the basket. I cut the front part shorter to make adding wood chunks easier. This gave me 8-10 hour burns and I never had a guru or stoker on it. I wish I'd never sold the old gal she was a great cooker.

sorry about the large pics...

DSCN1235.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

DSCN1238.jpg

Last edited:
I have some pictures on my website - it's more or less like HB's - his is a lot prettier.

Back