Need Help Finding Wood

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
The wood up here in NE is plain unfit for Q. All I can find is Ash, Cottonwood, and when I find good oak, everyone is keeping it for winter. I miss S.C. Tx where the mesquite and pecan are plentiful. Any help from the Brothers would be greatly appreciated.

Never used apple. What cut is the best to cook over it? There aren't many orchards here in Nebraska, justa lotta corn. But I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks.

Fruit woods are good for pork and poultry. Apple works for brisket, too but I would prefer something stronger for beef.

Aren't there oaks of various types available in NE? If so, most any type of oak is good smoking wood and excellent with beef.

Im usually able to get mesquite and hickory at Home Depot...haven't checked out Wal-mart. JD

Nearest Home Depot is 75 miles away. Where within a days drive can I find wood suitable for Q? (hickory, maple, etc.) I would rather spend a weekend gathering large quantities that will last a season than a day going to the nearest big city.

Big Red Sawmill in Palmyra is where i get all my wood. They have about every type already split. Last time I was there they had a pile of hickory the size of a house. I buy tons of apple and cherry wood there. I know that is quite a ways from Cozad, but there are lots of places in the eastern part of the state to get wood.

Look in the phone book for orchards or saw mills, you are bound to buy something.

The Big Red Sawmill is cheap too!

Never used apple. What cut is the best to cook over it? There aren't many orchards here in Nebraska, justa lotta corn. But I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks.

How long have you been in Nebraska? There are probably hundreds of apple orchards. Before I started buying from the sawmill i went to a local orchard and cut down their dead trees for them for free! Heck I was even nice enough to haul them away.

These guys just don't know what it is like living in the great ameican desert do they. There are apple trees in Cozad but I doubt there are any orchards. I used cottonwood before and it is OK for flavor but it burns fast and has white fly ash. Ash wood sucks don't use it. There are a lot of plum thickets and plum like any fruitwood works good. To get a load of good wood you'll have to go to the eastern part of the state. It has been a long time since I've been in the area but Peterson's Market in Gothenburg had the best homemade sausages around. There used to be a packer in Cozad that had good sausage as well.

Ya know the sad thing is I have oak going to waste down here don't need it for fire wood and too much for smoking, shame I lived in Nebraska a long time.

Big Red Sawmill in Palmyra is where i get all my wood. They have about every type already split. Last time I was there they had a pile of hickory the size of a house. I buy tons of apple and cherry wood there. I know that is quite a ways from Cozad, but there are lots of places in the eastern part of the state to get wood.

Look in the phone book for orchards or saw mills, you are bound to buy something.

The Big Red Sawmill is cheap too!

the number to the Big Red SawMill is 402-780-5678 office
402-525-2095 cell
the owners name Brian Schwaninger

I got a truck load of wood about two months ago for 140.00.
he has anything you want. he will let you mix it if you want. I got hickory-cherry and pecan.

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Sent this info to another fella in your neck of the woods...hope it's helpful. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Excerpt from "The Virtual Weber Bullet"[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Smoke Wood[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The best smoke wood is free smoke wood! Check with local orchards, golf courses, and tree trimming services, especially after storms. Tell them that your hobby is barbecue and you're looking for a few split pieces of wood, and you're likely to get some for free.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]If you have to purchase smoke wood, it's best to buy locally whenever possible because of the high cost of shipping.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Hickory and mesquite chunks are readily available at most hardware stores and home centers. Check Home Depot, Lowe's, Orchard Supply Hardware, Ace, True Value, and other such stores. Better grocery stores will often have these products, too.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Alder, apple, cherry, oak, and pecan can be purchased at specialty stores like Barbeques Galore and from suppliers such as Peoples Woods (800-729-5800), Fairlane Bar-B-Q Wood (816-761-1350) and Chigger Creek Products (888-826-0702). Guava can be mail-ordered from Guava Wood Farms in Hawaii. You can also find a number of other smoke wood suppliers listed on The Smoke Ring.[/FONT]

JD

The ash works well with beef. Check your local tree trimmers and city burn piles. I do plenty of rooting there and it works out rather well. If you can't find what you want then there is only one thing to do.....Road Trip!!!!!

Back