• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Braunfels smoker?

B

BigdogEMT

Has anyone out there every heard of these? There is one for sale in the Springfield Mo Craigslist (sorry on my blackberry can't post link).
Just wondering if it might be worth the $ !
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO New Braunfels used to have a decent smoker, the steel was thicker than the same era brinkman and it seemed better made. The recent ones I've seen though have been thinwall, big box specials

You'll find quite a few people started out on New Braunfels smokers of one type or another. I still use my offset.

I still use mine but it's an older thick model and I love it. Older is better

Indeed this forum was founded by fans of the New Braunfels Smoker called the Bandera.

New Braunfels company sold out a few years back to CharBroil. CB still makes something called e.g. a "Bandera" but sadly it is but a pale imitation of the old one which used to be made from 16 gauge steel. They probably still clone a few other NB models too. The good old ones say "New Braunfels" on them.

I have a New Brunsfeld Horizontal Offset, one of the older thicker and dang sure heavier models. I seldom use it except for relatively short cooks. When you consider the ease and efficiency of the WSM or a Drum, that Offset seems too much work. (Fire Management 101), and this is after several mods to firebox and cook chamber.

I had one for a while. It was great very thick steal cooked great chicken on it.

My very first New Braunfels Vertical water smoker with a few mods!

DSCF0019.jpg

Cheers

I bought a New Braunfels Bandera from Desert Dweller (above), and though it has turned out some good grub (friends liked it better than I did), I just finished building a UDS (thanks to a free drum and some sage advice) from another Brethern.
I just gave her a test run (windy day) and I think this set up will be great for steady temps in any (almost) conditions.

I have a NB Bandera. Old style, thick metal, Love it. You didn't mention the price, but I paid $300. thats high but it was in excellent shape.

Did the mods on Bandera 101 and it's goin strong. Let us know what you do.

BigDogemt, did you go look at it? Take some pics and send them to us. We can tell you if it's an older one or not. If you have to make a desicion on the spot try this: take the main door and try to bend it. If you feel like you can fold it in half, its a new one. The older ones have 1/8" thick metal. Try to pick it up. My old one is heavy as lead. You should be able to pick up a new one with no trouble.

I love my old Bandera.

I have a vertical/horizontal offset pit that was built in New Braunfels, but it's not a New Braunfels. Go figure.

Hi-jack over.

If it is newer, it is probably a Chinese made smoker. That means thin metal. Others will check in as to the price.

Based on the emblem on the smoke box, it looks to be a genuine New Branfuels Bandera. That's good. It looks to be in great shape as well. Go for it. Start off with an offer of $100.

Back