• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maybe A Base For A Rub

Learnin Querve

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I picked this up in, of all places, at a day old bread store. It's called Southwest Sizzle Seasoning, from Gel Spice Company. Paid $1.99 for a 9.5 oz. bottle.

I'm posting because I have seen a few requests for rubs that have no salt or sugar. I'm sure some of you could tweak it and get a flavor profile you like. I usually use this only on chicken, but today I've added a few ingredients, including some brown sugar , and rubbed a small butt that is on the UDS right now.

Ingredient list, in order, is minced onion, red pepper, garlic, paprika, basil, cumin, cayenne, lemon peel, black pepper, mustard, ginger, and oregano.

Chris

Attachments

• sizzle10.jpg
    sizzle10.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 46
To one degree or another, I use all of these ingredients in most of my rubs when making them at home

I guess I'm unorthodox but I rub with whatever I think will taste good. I think I made out OK on some store bought rubs but I read the ingredients and saw all the same on my wifes spice shelf, so HOO WAA! I now make some good rubs...

Taste it. Put a "pinch between you cheek and gum" and see how you like it. If it needs more salt, add salt, etc. If you don't like the big pieces of spice, run it through the food processor, blender, or coffee mill. I have a coffe mill that never sees a coffee bean anymore.

Back