MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #31
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaudds View Post
Lol..I must of picked up the ones you didn't want as mine were dated 9/7. Since I'm a total noob, what is it you look for as far as feel when you choose a brisket?

I hope they don't jack up their prices....from what I understand about Costco pricing, they markup their items no more than 14% of their cost, with most items around 10%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY82 View Post
I hope you are right about that.

About feel, I try to pick out ones that are floppy. There was one there that felt really stiff to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I have read this several times on this site. In a past life, well it seems like another life ago I worked in the family meat business. Dad owned a packing house in Vernon. I worked there for 13 years. Any meat that was floppy came from a poorer quality steer. Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't cook great and maybe that's the secret for good brisket. But if I was picking a New York or Rib Eye it sure wouldn't be floppy.

Jerry
As far as a feel I tend to look for a flat that bends/folds easily aka floppy as mentioned. Mine didn't fold that well but the fat cap was way too thick. When I trim the fat cap it shouldn't be a problem. The marbleization in the flat and throughout is killer though. One of the best I've bought so far.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

I went to my local costo here in Huntsville, AL....asked them if they ever get prime brisket as I have never seen it. They said no. They had prime ribeye slabs as well as strips and filets I could butcher down. I never really went into depth with talking to him. For those that might have a better idea than I do on this stuff with costco, is there no way to put in a private order through a store manager?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #33
DMotivate
Got Wood.

I ended up going to the Chino Hills Costco on Saturday and they only had Choice briskets.
DMotivate is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMotivate View Post
I ended up going to the Chino Hills Costco on Saturday and they only had Choice briskets.

Were they flats or packers?
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #35
Bigmista

I only saw flats at the Lakewood location but I hadn't seen this thread. Heading back to morrow to see if they have any packers "in the back".

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #36
AtlGator
On the road to being a farker

Holy cow. SoCal high on the hog... packers, too? I'll tell the BBTC this is going down in so. California, can we get some love in Atlanta?

(BBTC - butcher behind the counter).
AtlGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #37
DMotivate
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Were they flats or packers?
Flats
DMotivate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #38
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I only saw flats at the Lakewood location but I hadn't seen this thread. Heading back to morrow to see if they have any packers "in the back".
If they don't have any in Lakewood you may want to try Torrance. Silverfinger picked up a couple so Torrance carries them. It's a hit and miss some locations have them and some don't.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #39
ColdFyre

The La Habra one had 2 as of last night... only one now :) (though I didn't ask to see if they had any others in the back)

The other one was almost 15lbs and at $50+, it was a bit too much for my budget.

ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #40
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Glad you snagged it as well. Quite a few of us brethern in the area it seems. I'm in the CV foothills.
Hey there...if you smell smoke going up the 2 by the college, that will be me!

Quote:
The La Habra one had 2 as of last night... only one now :) (though I didn't ask to see if they had any others in the back)

The other one was almost 15lbs and at $50+, it was a bit too much for my budget.
Wow...I wonder why the difference in price( $3.99 vs. $2.79) from a couple days ago? Or is it a store to store thing?
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #41
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

None in San Bernardino. The butcher said they haven't received any Prime packers at all, and isn't expecting any in the near future

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
ColdFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaudds View Post
Wow...I wonder why the difference in price( $3.99 vs. $2.79) from a couple days ago? Or is it a store to store thing?
I was wondering the same thing... but $3.99 a lb is still a good price for prime (especially since it's the 1st prime one I've ever seen in so cal.)
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

I should pick one up as well, before these things start flying and racking up the price. Time to put the WFO to use.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFyre View Post
I was wondering the same thing... but $3.99 a lb is still a good price for prime (especially since it's the 1st prime one I've ever seen in so cal.)
Wow! I agree on the price still good for $3.99. They first started at $2.59 then $2.79 and look like they raised it to $3.99. They must be selling really well.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #45
Bigmista

Went today and talked to the butcher at the Lakewood store. He said it didn't exist. Showed him the pic at the beginning of this thread and said yes they do. He looked up the number on the tag and found them gonna try to order me some for next week.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote