MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
BigdogKC
On the road to being a farker

Default Dumb Question

What happens if you leave a comp after turn in, and some how you are able to win, or at least get a call? Would you still get your $$/trophy/ribbon? Is it considered disrespectful?
BigdogKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

The first person to the stage gets your stuff...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
The first person to the stage gets your stuff...
Great answer
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
parrothead

I would imagine that the contest organiser would mail you what ever you had coming. I assume you are talking some emergency or such. In which case you simply let another team know that you had to leave.

If you just up and left for the heck of it, well that would probably be in bad form.

Of the competitions that we have done, I can think of only one time that we were actually packed up and ready to go before the awards time and that was only by about 10 minutes and we had some extra help that day.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdogKC View Post
What happens if you leave a comp after turn in, and some how you are able to win, or at least get a call? Would you still get your $$/trophy/ribbon?
Yes - but I'd suggest you talk with the organzier or another team and arrange for somebody to pick up trophy/ribbon at least. Saves the organizer shipping on a trophy.

Quote:
Is it considered disrespectful?
Do you even need to ask? Unless you have an emergency then you should stay for awards. Even if you think you have no hope. Because the truth is it's most disrespectful to yourself. You're there to try to win and the idea of awards is to allow all the cooks to applaud the winners. You are missing what it's really all about. That wonderful walk with all your friends and enemies cheering for you.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Yes - but I'd suggest you talk with the organzier or another team and arrange for somebody to pick up trophy/ribbon at least. Saves the organizer shipping on a trophy.

Do you even need to ask? Unless you have an emergency then you should stay for awards. Even if you think you have no hope. Because the truth is it's most disrespectful to yourself. You're there to try to win and the idea of awards is to allow all the cooks to applaud the winners. You are missing what it's really all about. That wonderful walk with all your friends and enemies cheering for you.
"Because the truth is it's most disrespectful to yourself"

Well put...
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba

$200 + for entry
$100 + for meat
All the time and other expenses needed to do a comp....
Why would you leave early?
As they say.....On any given day!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 AM   #8
BigdogKC
On the road to being a farker

I do not plan on leaving early, but my wife is pregnant, and I am looking at contigency plans in the event she went into labor early. It would be a month early, so I seriously doubt I will have to worry about it, but I wanted to know just in case. We are doing another one that is only a couple of weeks before the due date, but it is only about 4 miles from the Hospital, so I could always ask her to cross her legs until we hear :) or leave my brother-in-law there to collect if we won. Wouldn't that be perfect...win your first ribbon, and have a baby the same day!!! Man what a dream!!
BigdogKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Having a baby is a pretty good excuse.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #10
Bigdog

Quote:
I do not plan on leaving early, but my wife is pregnant, and I am looking at contigency plans in the event she went into labor early. It would be a month early, so I seriously doubt I will have to worry about it, but I wanted to know just in case. We are doing another one that is only a couple of weeks before the due date, but it is only about 4 miles from the Hospital, so I could always ask her to cross her legs until we hear :) or leave my brother-in-law there to collect if we won. Wouldn't that be perfect...win your first ribbon, and have a baby the same day!!! Man what a dream!!
Not to worry, you are a Brother now. You will meet enough Brothers and Sisters at most any comp these days. I'm sure you will be able to get one of them to pick your stuff up for you.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hey in this hypothetical situation, at least she had the decentsy to wait til after turn ins. The question is, will you have a chance to pack your gear or will you have to come back after dropping her off at the emergency room door?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #12
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Babies have a mind of their own. Our youngest arrived 7 1/2 weeks early! Have a GOOD plan of how to get moving quickly if you need to. My wife's water broke and he was born 1 hour later.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #13
MAsQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
This raises the interesting philosophical question: "Is it possible to be too devoted to BBQ?"

If I were in your position, I would ask myself two questions:

1) Do I think I can go the rest of my life without sleeping?

2) Does the name "Lorena Bobbet" ring a bell?

Ma's 'Que Crew BBQ Team
Ma's BBQ and Catering
"Texas BBQ" propane tank stick burner
Brinkman Cimmaron
CBJ #6502
MAsQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAsQue View Post
2) Does the name "Lorena Bobbet" ring a bell?
And what would she se for a clapper?

Anyway... Just let the organizer or reps know what is going on and either have someone pick up your trophy or work with the organizer to get the stuff to you.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
And what would she se for a clapper?

Anyway... Just let the organizer or reps know what is going on and either have someone pick up your trophy or work with the organizer to get the stuff to you.
OR

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...29&postcount=2

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote