Restaurant Depot

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
For the folks in So Cal. How does RD meat prices compare to Costco and regular grocery stores. I'm about to join KCBS and hopefully it's worth it.

Which location will you be visiting and how far of a drive is it? RD is usually cheaper and will carry a slightly better quality most of the time. However, for me its a bit of a drive while Sams is closer. So its a toss up for me as to which place to go to. RD is definitely better if buying in bulk.

Check the link below as well. You can look up your closest location and check their specials. Usually the meats of interest are listed.

http://www.restaurantbyclick.com/rd/state.asp

Which location will you be visiting and how far of a drive is it? RD is usually cheaper and will carry a slightly better quality most of the time. However, for me its a bit of a drive while Sams is closer. So its a toss up for me as to which place to go to. RD is definitely better if buying in bulk.

Check the link below as well. You can look up your closest location and check their specials. Usually the meats of interest are listed.

http://www.restaurantbyclick.com/rd/state.asp

Looks like I got one less than 10 miles away in Long Beach. :thumb:

Do you have to buy meat by the case?

Looks like I got one less than 10 miles away in Long Beach. :thumb:

Do you have to buy meat by the case?

No you don't have to buy everything by the case, but you also can't just go pick up a single rib eye, you have to buy a 13lb rib eye roast @ $6.49/lb for Angus.

A for other prices, I just went yesterday(Fountain Valley) and picked up a Select brisket for $2.09/lb the sizes were between 13lbs and 19lbs. Also picked up Prairie Fresh cryovac ribs for $1.97/lb(these were $1.56/lb in September). Bone in butts around $1.59/lb.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I rotate among the RD's in Anaheim, Torrance, and Fountain Valley. The selection at each is a little different, and reflects the restaurant clientele in those areas. Anaheim is the So Cal HQ, so they have the biggest selection of meat of the three, FYI. The Long Beach one (the one off the 91?) is big square footage wise, but that's because it's combined with a Jetro.

Since you're in Norwalk, you should also check out the Costco Business Center in Commerce. It's got a bigger meat selection than a regular Costco, and is open for any Costco member.

You have to have a DBA or a business tax ID. I think the KCBS will get you in one time, but you need a resale situation after that.

You have to have a DBA or a business tax ID. I think the KCBS will get you in one time, but you need a resale situation after that.

The KCBS card should get you in as many times as you like (at least that's how it used to work). You just need to show your KCBS card at the desk each time you visit and they will give you a daily pass.

The KCBS card should get you in as many times as you like (at least that's how it used to work). You just need to show your KCBS card at the desk each time you visit and they will give you a daily pass.

I can be a struggle at times. I printed and brought in the page from KCBS web site. I eventually got a permanent pass. Don't need a business. I just have to pay the tax.

I can be a struggle at times. I printed and brought in the page from KCBS web site. I eventually got a permanent pass. Don't need a business. I just have to pay the tax.

What page? I can't seem to find anything that talks about RD on their site.

I rotate among the RD's in Anaheim, Torrance, and Fountain Valley. The selection at each is a little different, and reflects the restaurant clientele in those areas. Anaheim is the So Cal HQ, so they have the biggest selection of meat of the three, FYI. The Long Beach one (the one off the 91?) is big square footage wise, but that's because it's combined with a Jetro.

Since you're in Norwalk, you should also check out the Costco Business Center in Commerce. It's got a bigger meat selection than a regular Costco, and is open for any Costco member.

The Costco Business Center is OK, not great. They still only carry flats no packers. I do like that place better than my Norwalk Costco because lines are non existent. :becky:

I went to RD for the first time this weekend in Oakland, their meat department blows away the Costco business center here. I used my KCBS card to get in but the receptionist wasn't very knowledgeable, she said she'll let me in this one time and thats it, then I pointed out to her that the printout was from a secure site that not just anyone can print one out and that the KCBS member number as well as directions were printed on it.

I went to the RD in San Jose last weekend with my KCBS card and the printed coupon from the KCBS page and they looked at me like I was an idiot. They almost did not let me in, I explained that the coupon was from KCBS it stated very clear that it is for a one day pass. After giving me grief they gave me a one day pass and made VERY clear to me that if I wanted to come back I would have to have a buisness license and # to enter. After that ordeal I figured even when I do get a biz I sure as heck wont be giving them my money. They acted like they were doing me a favor. The prices were ok but nothing worth sharting myself over to go there. I'll stick with Costco.

I ran into the same thing as JiveTurkey. The RD by me had no clue what I was talking about. I do have a DBA being filed right now, so I'll have that to take and get a permanent card, but my KCBS card got me a lot of odd looks and questions. I'm glad others had an easier time though!

Now you guys are getting me worried. The only reason I joinced KCBS was for this perk. I hope my local RD reps are a bit nicer.

Back