Left or Right hand brisket?

Vince B

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok I know this is kind of a stupid question but how do we know which is which? I read and I know this is a joke, left side is better! LOL Today while at the store there were about eight different briskets in the case and I noticed all but one seemed to have the fat in the same spot on the point. I looked at them all and well the two I decided on both had the fat on opposite sides of the point. I went with the one in the bottom of the picture below which was the one of one! What say you and does it really matter? Have fun with this one guys I know will enjoy your replies! Vince B

leftorrighthandbrisket-1.jpg

leftorrighthandbrisket.jpg

Interesting question. I have NO idea what the answer is. I can't imagine it matters, but SOMEONE's gonna say something like, "Since Cows lay on their left side, that side's tougher." or "Everyone knows cows tend to walk and favor their right legs, or veer to the right, so that's the tough one."

I'll watch this one for sure.

:pop2:

It's a myth. Don't fall for it. I've never seen cows do anything with their right hooves more than their left. It's not like they write, or throw the ball around or anything like that.

I believe it, you needed to buy the left-handed one. For all you know, late at night, the cows are doing something and we just don't see.

Yeah Bob, but if a cow does something with his hoof late at night and there's noone there to see it, does it matter? ....or did it make a noise? .....or.....oh, never mind.:tsk:

If you spend the rest of this year watching, cows almost always lay on their left side. So when getting up the left side is mostly used to lift it's big fat sirlion area. So scientific research has show the left brisket will usually be more tuff than the right...
And in the pics above, the top pic is the right brisky, and the bottom one is the wrong brisky.
Ed

I went with the one in the bottom of the picture below which was the one of one!

I believe you chose the right hand brisket, not the left, sorry bud (not that I have any experience of one being better than the other).

If you do it with your left hoof it feels like someone else is doing it. ...unless you are left hoofed.

One word.

Think ambidextrous

Ummmm,,,,,

JimT

No Right Hand or Left Hand maybe Right Hoof or Left Hoof but cows don't have hands!

Smoke them up and let us know which one is the best. Maybe do a Quaduple blind taste test with people from the internet that you have never met.

Now I thought the whole myth was based on a cow laying on its left side more often than not. It uses the left leg as a post, while the right side does all the work when standing up, making the right side the tough side. So when you are out tipping them, make sure you tip them left.

I believe it, you needed to buy the left-handed one. For all you know, late at night, the cows are doing something and we just don't see.

Yea I sees them commercials on TV
Cows dancing and carrying on

Now I thought the whole myth was based on a cow laying on its left side more often than not. It uses the left leg as a post, while the right side does all the work when standing up, making the right side the tough side. So when you are out tipping them, make sure you tip them left.

Now you tell me. :doh: I was told to tip them left and I just bounced off like wet noodle. :rolleyes:

The fact is it's a fifty fifty split, give or take, of cows laying on either side. so it's a coin toss what side you get, right? Unless you could segragate them lefty righty and run a test. Chris?

The fact is it's a fifty fifty split, give or take, of cows laying on either side. so it's a coin toss what side you get, right? Unless you could segragate them lefty righty and run a test. Chris?

I failed at tipping cows. How in the world am I going to toss one?:confused:

I tend to lean towards the right.

But this is not a political forum. :laugh:

With the fat down and the point away from you, they bend the opposite way they are... this means that a bend to right and its a lefty loosey not a tighty righty. Lefty would be righty tighty.

as it turned out... if you cook them til they are done its matters not. This was a great thing though back in the day when bnsket was 70 cents and below for choice.

Back