foil roasting pans

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i was wondering what the results would be on using some form of a foil roasting pan or foil over the grates in efforts of making an easier clean up for everyday cooking. anybody done this before?
phil

Phil,
I put everything in aluminum pans!!!! I have been doing it for years.
I buy them at Sams Club. Small pans hold a Butt perfectly, large ones for racks ob ribs. Check out my web site ans see them.
ed

I would be a bit concerned about the meat sitting in the rendered off fat. I wouldn't want my brisket or butts to sit in what collects in my drip bucket when I cook them.

kcquer said:
I would be a bit concerned about the meat sitting in the rendered off fat. I wouldn't want my brisket or butts to sit in what collects in my drip bucket when I cook them.

Amen, Scott. I agree. I wouldn't consider cooking my meat in aluminum pans. Plus, in my mind, it seems it would limit the smoke penetration on one side.

If you wanted to go the pan route and not have it sit in the juices/fat, you can just put the meat on one of those roaster racks, (or something similar like the rack that goes in a toaster oven or a small kettle it it has two ends to hold it off the bottom)

Seems like you could set the pans in the bottom of the smoker and let it drip to the bottom. You would still have to wipe up the grates but clean out the bottom of the smoker.

I do meatloaf in a pan, for obvious reasons, but haven't ever done anything else. Part of me likes the purity of the meat right on the grates, though. Cleaning up is just part of the whole process; the last piece of the ritual.

I (sometimes, not always) line the bottom of the byc with foil directly under the meat and fold the ends up.. makes cleanup real easy.

I always line the bottom of the pit below the water pan with foil. There is a picture somewhere on the site that shows TK's method of lining the pit but I couldn't find it.

In addition to lining the bottom of the pit I saw someone's picture of actually lining the water pan as well. I tried it and boy does it help. Just dump the water, throw out the foil, and all that is left is a simple rinse out with hot soapy water.

I haven't lined the grates themselves because I like the fat to render off (falls in the water pan!) and let the smoke get to as much surface as possible.

I just let the fat drip into the water pan (WSM), but when I using the kettle I place a drip pan under the food.

rookiedad said:
i was wondering what the results would be on using some form of a foil roasting pan or foil over the grates in efforts of making an easier clean up for everyday cooking. anybody done this before?
phil

I would think foil over the grates might block smoke/airflow.....I've seen people do it on a gasser, but on a pit, especially something vertical, I would hesitate to do that.....

Back