Wet Cure (Brine) for bacon?

CarolinaQue

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Was wondering if any one has done a wet cure (brine) for bacon? Is the salt/sugar to water ration the same as a traditional brine?

Just want to bump this up once in case some one see's it this morning that has done this before.

Have used wet brine for bacon often. Typical brine of 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 2oz cure#1 to a gallon of water. A four day soak should be enough. Substitute honey, molasses etc for sugar if you want.

Remember, with a dry rub cure the meat can only absord as much salt as you put on it but with brine the meat will absorb salt past the desirable amount if it soaks too long.

Thanks raw...So pretty much a typical brine with a curing agent added. I was going to try and avoid the nitrates from the cure and just rely on the salt and sugar, and then freeze the bacon in small batches and use as needed. But that was more for the wife than any thing else.

If there is no cure, it isnt bacon....its brined pork, which is still good...just not technically bacon.
You only really need the cure if you are going to be cold smoking it for long periods of time to avoid botulism. If you are just going to freeze it in portions and use the portions immediately you dont need the cure.

**Im not an expert, but i play one on the internet** :-D

Well...considering it isn't going to get about 32* here any time soon...I think that a long cold smoke would be fine.

the danger zone for the nasties to grow is between 40 and 160 degrees, so if the interior of the smoker is in that range for long periods of time there is the possibility of them to start growing, you could poison yourself or others.
Im sure many people have done this and there have been no problems, but this is just a heads up to let you know what can happen.
Good luck , I'd like to know how it goes :thumb:

The smoker won't be above 38*. Once smoked, partially freezing to make slicing easier and then I'm freezing it in small batches so it's all used in one cook.

I am taking pics and keeping notes for a tutorial once I'm done. I plan on cold smoking Monday morning. I'll keep those interested posted.

If there is no cure, it isnt bacon....its brined pork, which is still good...just not technically bacon.
You only really need the cure if you are going to be cold smoking it for long periods of time to avoid botulism. If you are just going to freeze it in portions and use the portions immediately you dont need the cure.

**Im not an expert, but i play one on the internet** :-D

Salt and sugar aren't curing agents any more? Or is this statement based on the premise that curing chemicals are required for it to meet the definition of bacon?

Back