MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default horz door mod

Finally got off my arse today and made the door on the Cimarron fit well enough it should need the damper to actually be open to get a good clean burn. Hoping this will provide better fire control when using the Method as well. I have some new hinges on order and will do the hinge side and have the works welded in place as soon as the hinges are in.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

cool

looks like RoboDoor

Great work E

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
chad

Very nice.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #4
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Looking very good.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Way to go KC--Looks great!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2004, 11:20 PM   #6
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Nice job. Wish my Bandera fire box door fit that well.

Old 12-28-2004, 03:27 AM   #7
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looks good KC. What did you have to do to fix it?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2004, 06:14 AM   #8
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Went to the local welding shop, paid $2 for a 4' piece of 1.5"x1/8" flat stock, on to the hardware store for $2 worth of stainless machine screws, nuts and lockwashers. Put the abrasive blade on the table saw made a few miter cuts(clean ALL sawdust out of saw and disconnect from dust collector). I clamped the pieces in place as I went. The piece on the right took some.... well in wood working we call it "pocketknife fitting", it had to be notched around the stationary part of the latch. Then when everything fit like I wanted it to I used a spring loaded centerpunch to mark hole locations, drilled some 3/16" holes put in the screws. Last step was to widen the cut in the stationary part of the latch to accomadate the extra material, just a few strokes with a sharp file was all it took as the original fit was quite sloppy.
Finishing the project will be a bit more involved, remove the added parts, cut off the old hinge components and grind smooth, and take all the paint off the end panel. Weld the new parts and new hinges in place then paint. I'm hoping to just paint the end cap but it may be time for a fresh coat overall by then.
Next mod, charcoal basket. Using the Minion Method I've been getting 3 hours at a clip on a (smaller than Weber's) chimney of Kingsford and 2 small 12" splits of wood cut into four chunks each. With the new oxygen control and a proper container for fuel I'm hoping to double that to 6hrs between refuels.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:16 AM   #9
jt
Babbling Farker

Looks awesome, E! Great job.

Quote:
RoboDoor
They'll fix you. They fix everything.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2004, 10:57 AM   #10
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

WOW!!! What a difference, I actually have fire CONTROL. Open the damper a bit and the temp goes up, close it and the temp goes down. I took a chance and loaded the fire box with considerably more fuel than normal, put the lit fuel on top of the pile and I'm getting nice light blue and within reason whatever temp I want. I'm anxious to see how long the load lasts.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
parrothead

Nice work, E.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2004, 09:21 AM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
I took a chance and loaded the fire box with considerably more fuel than normal, put the lit fuel on top of the pile and I'm getting nice light blue and within reason whatever temp I want. I'm anxious to see how long the load lasts.
Well here's what happened. In short it worked and real well.

Here's the details, I used the shop heater to preheat the smoker. Then I loaded up the firebox with 2 chimney's of briq with one chim of lump mixed in (did this becuase for the ham I was looking for a hotter fire 250+) and 4 12" splits cut into 4 chunks each. Didn't take long with the damper open to get up to temp. Once there I was able to hold it at 260 or so all day. With a couple small additions of fuel this initial load lasted 8hrs @ 250+. Was running short on wood smoke later in the cook so the last 3 hrs I added a skinny split each hour. Remembering what Jim said about impurities needing to pass through the hottest part of the fire, I pushed the splits kinda up under the coals. Even with cold wood and a mostly closed damper I got no white smoke. When it was time to glaze the ham I did add a small amount of lump to make sure I maintained good heat while opening and closing the door often.
I'm looking forward to trying a more conventional (<225 pit temp) cook and see how it goes. A basket is gonna be essential for best results as it will keep the lit stuff up on top of the unlit where it needs to be. I'm thinking that a pair of baskets will make a nice system. As basket "A" begins to die off, just give it a shake to get rid of the crap and pull it out dump the remaining coals on top of basket "B" , rake out the ash, slide in the fresh basket and keep right on cooking. The round firebox limits the height of the basket to what I'm guessing will be 6hrs of fire or so. Still much easier than tending every 45mis for sure.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #13
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So does this mean your back on your arse ?