MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #1936
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Sweet Drum fordman!

Love the wheel set up. I've been wrestling with how I wanted to do wheels on mine and that looks great.

What did you use for your probe hole?

Did you drill out the rivet on the Weber vent then replace? I also used an old Weber lid but didn't drill out the vent so you can still see the red paint in some spots on it. It's Ugly so that's okay...but I'd like to clean it up a bit if possible.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #1937
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I would like to do a single intake (to keep it simple) running to the center.
Like a 2" pipe that runs through the side of the barrel along the bottom to the middle of the bottom?

I dont recall anyone using that method but it should work. Plus, you could turbocharge that with something like this thing I made with 2 PC fans:

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.

Last edited by Mark; 02-26-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #1938
Mark

Here's another atypical approach:

Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #1939
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Like a 2" pipe that runs through the side of the barrel along the bottom to the middle of the bottom?
Exactly. As for the other option of putting a butterfly style intake on the bottom of the barrel, that is Plan B. It also makes it simple in that it not only serves as air intake, but a way for the grease to drip out!!! I could put a coffee can or something underneath the unit to catch the drippings. Actually. The more I talk about it, the more I like that idea!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #1940
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would be afraid the butterfly type intake on the very bottom mite have a tendency to get clogged and would have to be move every so often to clear its self. I did see someone on another forum that put wsm type intakes on the sides that could work.
Dave

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #1941
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I would be afraid the butterfly type intake on the very bottom mite have a tendency to get clogged and would have to be move every so often to clear its self. I did see someone on another forum that put wsm type intakes on the sides that could work.
Dave
By butterfly type intake are you referring to the pics I just posted? I only use sticks in my UDS and theyre burened in a short inner barrel shown below.

I've never had it clog

Old 11-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #1942
Mark

Quote:
Exactly. As for the other option of putting a butterfly style intake on the bottom of the barrel, that is Plan B. It also makes it simple in that it not only serves as air intake, but a way for the grease to drip out!!! I could put a coffee can or something underneath the unit to catch the drippings. Actually. The more I talk about it, the more I like that idea!
Go price a 2" ball valve

Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #1943
bigabyte

Quote:
By butterfly type intake are you referring to the pics I just posted?
Yeah, I was referring to the pic you posted with the square shaped spinner intake on the bottom of the barrel. Sorry for the confusion. Clogging could be a problem...so I guess I am back to laying the thick pipe in the bottom of her!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #1944
bigabyte

Quote:
Go price a 2" ball valve
That might just work!!! Provided it stays warm enough to prevent clogging. Probably only one way to find out. I suppose I could find another way to catch the grease, just trying to make it as simple as I can on this pass.

Duh.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #1945
Mark

Quote:
Yeah, I was referring to the pic you posted with the square shaped spinner intake on the bottom of the barrel. Sorry for the confusion. Clogging could be a problem...so I guess I am back to laying the thick pipe in the bottom of her!

Clogging has never been a problem for me. The one thing I'd do different is use my "butterfly valve" approach in a removable lid so that the barrel can be lifted off all the internals (a.k.a., what Pat does).

Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #1946
Mark

Quote:
That might just work!!! Provided it stays warm enough to prevent clogging. Probably only one way to find out. I suppose I could find another way to catch the grease, just trying to make it as simple as I can on this pass.
Grease dripping out the "butterfly valve" has never happened either. It would have to leak through the inner barrel and the intake air diffuse plate (the notched thing) below it. It aint gonna happen.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #1947
Mo-Dave

Quote:
By butterfly type intake are you referring to the pics I just posted? I only use sticks in my UDS and theyre burened in a short inner barrel shown below.

I've never had it clog
That makes more since of it, did not notice the inner barrel. My bad. I am guessing then you set a grate on the rods so the fire can get air underneath.
Dave

Old 11-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #1948
fordman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
Sweet Drum fordman!

Love the wheel set up. I've been wrestling with how I wanted to do wheels on mine and that looks great.

What did you use for your probe hole?

Did you drill out the rivet on the Weber vent then replace? I also used an old Weber lid but didn't drill out the vent so you can still see the red paint in some spots on it. It's Ugly so that's okay...but I'd like to clean it up a bit if possible.
Well I drilled out the rivet and polished the vent and use a 1/4 x20 stainless bolt with a nylock nut. Yea I bought some more paine to touch up my red bracket so it will be all blue.

Probe hole was this but gromets would work as well like posted a page back.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #1949
bigabyte

Quote:
Clogging has never been a problem for me. The one thing I'd do different is use my "butterfly valve" approach in a removable lid so that the barrel can be lifted off all the internals (a.k.a., what Pat does).
Yeah, using your setup the drippings wouldn't get down there I guess. What I was thinking was a removable bottom. Basically have the bottom removed and put a lid on down there with a ring clamp to seal it. I had planned on having a setup similar to Barbarian's where he has the bottom lid inverted on the ground, but with the ring down there around it ready to clamp down. I could set my charcoal basket directly on it (with 2" clearance below) if I had the kind of vent on the bottom like you had. After lighting I could simply set the drum on top of the lid and clamp it up to seal it. This way I could get the most room available for the food because the charcoal basket was the lowest I could possibly get it, and with the least amount of parts required to do so. In this set up however, drippings would get down on to the bottom of the cooker and drip out of the intake. I could put in a pan like you did, but was trying to avoid it for the simplicity sake.

Luckily, I have not built it yet so I can still decide on the approach! I still have to get my drum. Once it's here though then whatever seems best at the time is probably what I'll go with.

Duh.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #1950
Meat Burner

Quote:
I apologize if I missed something in the 129 pages I read, but my question is about a single intake running to the center of the drum. Can anyone say if that takes care of the hot spots that others reported with a single intake? Also, I thought it seemed a bit odd that those with 3 or 4 intakes said they had more even temps yet they would have one or two of the intakes closed. How is that making the draft even resulting in fewer hotspots?

No biggie. Maybe nobody can answer, but thought I would ask. I would like to do a single intake (to keep it simple) running to the center.
Chris, I do the four intakes but close them down equally. I think the burn is more even that way. Did the pipe nipples inside about 4 inches long thinking the center oxygen would work the best but it didn't for my drums. Cut all the inside nipples back to 3/4 inch and the burn was even all the way around and more consistant. This is just how it works for the drums I have. Obviously, the single intake, or some capped intakes all work for them...that's real cool. Lots of ways to skin a cat...and they smoke low and slow real well also.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker