MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #46
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
What are you looking at going with the original or the 28?
That is the decision I have to make. When I bought my Lang, everyone told me to get one size bigger than I wanted and I didn't do it. That was a mistake. That's why I feel like I should always get the biggest available. That's my theory when buying a TV too

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #47
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekingPorker View Post
That is the decision I have to make. When I bought my Lang, everyone told me to get one size bigger than I wanted and I didn't do it. That was a mistake. That's why I feel like I should always get the biggest available. That's my theory when buying a TV too
Yeah I would have told you to go for the 60

Seriously though, the Assassin 28 for $500 more...larger charcoal chute, two pan side by side and a 5th rack runner($50) at least for future space if ever needed. As mentioned above I am doing 6 on my order. I am in the that same group of go larger if you can

Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #48
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post
Dabomb, you'll love it. My Assassin is an outstanding piece of equipment, cranks out delicious BBQ while allowing Daddy to get some sleep. I'm looking forward to hearing about your first few smokes on it.
You a long with other customers on here swayed me, Jeff and Robin closed the deal. As mentioned super great people, unfortunately I am going to miss him when I pick it up next Saturday. I wanted to check out the operations since we are making the 5 hour one way drive. I think you will enjoy some of the custom changes I asked him to do on mine, I think they will be for the better both looks and longevity of the high heat areas.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Just got off the phone with Jeff, and an Assassin 28 it is! It really wasn't a hard sell at all. Now the waiting game begins.....

Old 07-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #50
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Jeff, and an Assassin 28 it is! It really wasn't a hard sell at all. Now the waiting game begins.....
Congrats!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #51
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Ha, nice...ill take credit for the sell

Looks like we will have some fun here soon, the Assassin group is growing!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #52
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Ha, nice...ill take credit for the sell

Looks like we will have some fun here soon, the Assassin group is growing!
Gee whiz...I wanted to take credit for the sale since it was my video that got some of this discussion going. Oh well, I'll let you have the credit.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #53
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
Gee whiz...I wanted to take credit for the sale since it was my video that got some of this discussion going. Oh well, I'll let you have the credit.
You can both take credit, although the video played a huge part in it for me. Plus you put it on Vimeo with that fancy HD, made the smoker look SO SWEET

Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Im good with the split mep

Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #55
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I dont see an issue with you not being able to put the butts on top, that spacing will be ok...remember flip the racks upside down and your getting 5/8 of an inch back on the spacing. I am not going to have that issue with 7 inches for the top two and 5 inches on the bottom two if I am going only large meats. I will always cook my chicken on my green egg, its produced what I want and what as won me awards. With the spacing I mentioned to you above, my main point was to be able to have all 6 of my racks support full size pan height spacing. With the 3.5" that is going to be likely the minimum id consider going with, it will leave a 1/2ish of spacing. My other concern was to have a smoker that I was able to have side by side pans, the 27 1/2 inches was huge for me with inches to spare not touching each other and the metal sides. I understand your concern on moving it up and down, ive talked to others and it still doesnt seem to be an issue especially if the rise on the trailer isnt more than 20 degrees. When I plan to get my enclosed in 6x12 or 14 I will use solid blocks at the end of the door and just roll it out on the door to sit, at least that is my plan. Will see as I dont think the weight will be exceeding anything if the door is on blocks, I havent read anything that concerns me there yet.
The Assassin - I have the regular sized one (24?) - is in fact a heavy smoker - part of what makes it work so well is lots of steel and insulation with solid construction, which adds weight. But it moves around a hard surface (concrete slab) very easily. Not much harder than shoving around a full grocery cart - something I do quite well (thank you ). Grab the handles, give it a little shove and she goes, and easy to steer too. Now I am in Houston, where it's flat as a pancake - I mean FLAT.

If you're concerned about loading it up on a trailer, and at the risk of sounding like a dumb a$$, here is what I've suggested to others. Install a small electric (12v powered by your car or truck battery) winch. They're very inexpensive and pull nice and slow for you to guide the smoker up a ramp while it's being pulled up. They have 'em on sale at Harbor Freight right now for about $60 dollars.
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #56
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

sorry
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #57
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
If you're concerned about loading it up on a trailer, and at the risk of sounding like a dumb a$$, here is what I've suggested to others. Install a small electric (12v powered by your car or truck battery) winch. They're very inexpensive and pull nice and slow for you to guide the smoker up a ramp while it's being pulled up. They have 'em on sale at Harbor Freight right now for about $60 dollars.
That's what I do, after talking to Jeff I mailed him a "D" ring and he welded it to the smoker so I could winch it in and out. I can load and unload it by myself.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #58
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I sorta' have an idea of what I think you're talking about. Would you be so kind as to explain this in a little more detail, or perhaps post a pic. I'd like to see exactly what you're suggesting - it does sound like a good idea!
I bought a 8 x 24, 16 GA flat stock form Lowes a cut a piece just big enough to cover the charcoal chute. I don't put it on until after warm up and it is time to close the chute door.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1374627403

This smoker is 4 years old, some moisture will get by the metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo377.jpg (33.3 KB, 172 views)

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #59
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #60
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Yeah... I've looked at the winch option in the past. I don't have a place to permanently mount a winch but I though about using aircraft cable between two D-rings in the floor and attach the winch to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
That's what I do, after talking to Jeff I mailed him a "D" ring and he welded it to the smoker so I could winch it in and out. I can load and unload it by myself.
He doesn't have D-rings?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote