MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #811
gaubry
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Same issue with amount of meat

I have done 3 cooks on my Lone Star Vertical smoker

• The first was the seasoning, no guru. held like a champ at 225
  • The second was a test run, no guru, 4 racks of ribs,again held @ 250, some of the best ribs I have ever done
  • Third time and I thought I had it down so, 10 cfm fan, 11 racks of ribs.3 x 8lb pork butts, 8 large chicken breasts and 8 sausage. The fan ran constantly, ( I was using boiling water) and it worked to hit 240 of the 250 set point.
Coming from a Primo Oval XL I had never smoked that much at one time. I think Chris recommends the 25 cfm fan but I spoke to BBQ Guru and they thought the 10 cfm fan would be fine. A bit slower but it would do the job.
It might be ok if your smoker is not loaded but the 10 cfm ran constantly and the recovery rate was not good. Now having said that I added about an hour to the cook time and everything turned out amazing. I will pick up a 25 cfm fan for it.

Absolutely love the Lone Star and would highly recommend it. Chris and Amber are a joy to deal with.
I also want to thank Mike and Cathy and everyone else who contributed to this thread. You are a wealth of information and I thank you.
gaubry is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #812
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaubry View Post
I have done 3 cooks on my Lone Star Vertical smoker

• The first was the seasoning, no guru. held like a champ at 225
  • The second was a test run, no guru, 4 racks of ribs,again held @ 250, some of the best ribs I have ever done
  • Third time and I thought I had it down so, 10 cfm fan, 11 racks of ribs.3 x 8lb pork butts, 8 large chicken breasts and 8 sausage. The fan ran constantly, ( I was using boiling water) and it worked to hit 240 of the 250 set point.
Coming from a Primo Oval XL I had never smoked that much at one time. I think Chris recommends the 25 cfm fan but I spoke to BBQ Guru and they thought the 10 cfm fan would be fine. A bit slower but it would do the job.
It might be ok if your smoker is not loaded but the 10 cfm ran constantly and the recovery rate was not good. Now having said that I added about an hour to the cook time and everything turned out amazing. I will pick up a 25 cfm fan for it.

Absolutely love the Lone Star and would highly recommend it. Chris and Amber are a joy to deal with.
I also want to thank Mike and Cathy and everyone else who contributed to this thread. You are a wealth of information and I thank you.
I tried the 10CFM fan initially and it ran constantly as well (temps at 225). This smoker is way too big for that small fan to move sufficient air, especially for higher temp cooks, and recovery after opening the door etc...The 25CFM works like a champ, you wont regret the upgrade.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #813
gaubry
Got rid of the matchlight.

I will pick up the 25CFM fan. Thanks for all of your posts darkoozy. Chris should put you on staff.
To all those waiting I endured an extra week due to Christmas. Then when it was finally delivered the temperature dropped to -20 and it seemed to stay there or colder for the month of Feb. But let me tell you the wait was worth it.
I also ordered a cover from Grillwraps and while it was expensive it is very well made. They were also great to deal with. (I think that was about a 6 week wait.]
The learning curve continues but is made much easier due to a 55 page thread.
Thanks everyone
gaubry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #814
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaubry View Post
I will pick up the 25CFM fan. Thanks for all of your posts darkoozy. Chris should put you on staff.
To all those waiting I endured an extra week due to Christmas. Then when it was finally delivered the temperature dropped to -20 and it seemed to stay there or colder for the month of Feb. But let me tell you the wait was worth it.
I also ordered a cover from Grillwraps and while it was expensive it is very well made. They were also great to deal with. (I think that was about a 6 week wait.]
The learning curve continues but is made much easier due to a 55 page thread.
Thanks everyone
Very welcome...

I am from Toronto and my company has a branch office up there, and know very well how cold it was this winter, and how cold it can get...Thats why I am in Texas :) and where my bbq addiction began...

Never expected this thread to grow this nuts :) (good kind of nuts) This thread helped me a ton too...lots of good info here!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #815
KajunSmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've got a couple of questions for everyone. Just wondering what kind of wood is everyone using and with the addition of the deflector plate did yall have to modify light up procedures from the beginning of this thread. Thanks
KajunSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #816
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunSmoke View Post
I've got a couple of questions for everyone. Just wondering what kind of wood is everyone using and with the addition of the deflector plate did yall have to modify light up procedures from the beginning of this thread. Thanks
I use a mixture of mesquite and hickory chunks for beef cooks. If I'm doing pork only, I'll use apple wood chunks.

As for lighting, I didn't change a thing when I put the heat deflector in. Smoker came to temp pretty much the same way/time it always has.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #817
Smoking Tunes
Knows what a fatty is.

I about to get mine started this morning. Burning Brisket, Ribs and baked beans.

What's everyone else cooking this weekend?

Kajunsmoke- Use what ever wood you like the best. Today I have hickory and cherry. I typical like post oak but ran out. Thankfully I've scored a nice batch just need to figure out when I can go get it.
Smoking Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #818
KajunSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
I use a mixture of mesquite and hickory chunks for beef cooks. If I'm doing pork only, I'll use apple wood chunks.

As for lighting, I didn't change a thing when I put the heat deflector in. Smoker came to temp pretty much the same way/time it always has.
Thanks, cant wait to get my smoker. I am ready!!!!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #819
KajunSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Tunes View Post
I about to get mine started this morning. Burning Brisket, Ribs and baked beans.

What's everyone else cooking this weekend?

Kajunsmoke- Use what ever wood you like the best. Today I have hickory and cherry. I typical like post oak but ran out. Thankfully I've scored a nice batch just need to figure out when I can go get it.
I really like Apple wood but will try just about anything.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:53 PM   #820
KajunSmoke

Got The call from Amber, Heading to Willis, TX Friday CAN'T WAIT!!!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #821
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunSmoke View Post
Got The call from Amber, Heading to Willis, TX Friday CAN'T WAIT!!!
Awesome! post your experience and first cook!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #822
KajunSmoke

Change of plans. Couldn't wait til Friday.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #823
KajunSmoke

Trying to upload picsimage.jpg

Old 04-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #824
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

And I don't blame you. She's a beauty!