• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Business Name

K

KevinK

I'm opening a BBQ trailer/shack on a busy road and trying to come up with a name for it. The only thing I have so far is Sporkie's BBQ. The slogan would be, "so tender you can eat it with a spork." The idea is to not take myself to serious and have a whimsical drawing of a spork with the outside points of the spork in the shape of pigs ears and a pig's face on the spork. I've been so focused on the food that I haven't put a lot of thought on the name but think it is probably an important decision and must be somewhat memorable to help word of mouth and repeat business. I appreciate anyone's honest feedback! Thanks in advance!

Sounds good to me. And, you are right to be focused on the food. The name and graphics may help you get first-time customers, but the real money comes from word-of-mouth advertising from satisfied customers.

I have been self employed most of my adult life, and NOTHING beats word of mouth advertising. That's where at least 75 percent of my income comes from.

CD

As a fan of sporks, no kidding, I can see how this would totally work. Even more so if you gave away sporks with the cole slaw or sides. Of course, you will need backup options as you never know what names have been registered in the past. But, I say go for it.

Solid name, as long as you don't pay copyright fees if you go big!

I'd try to find something that starts with B. I use Bell Mt. BBQ for vending or just cooking. It's a famous sledding mountain nearby.

Also if you specialized in brisket you could use Bullock BBQ .

Where will you be located in Iowa City? Are you open on game days? I hear that the City is really cracking down on roadside vendors on Melrose Ave.

Last edited by a moderator:
City is requiring a permit for anyone selling food or merchandise for the games. I didn't get a permit this year but should be ready for next season. It was pretty wet here today so all the vendors were having a rough day. Heck even the game was delayed, I can't remember a B10 game ever being delayed and there were 2 delayed today!!!

City is requiring a permit for anyone selling food or merchandise for the games. I didn't get a permit this year but should be ready for next season. It was pretty wet here today so all the vendors were having a rough day. Heck even the game was delayed, I can't remember a B10 game ever being delayed and there were 2 delayed today!!!

I was at the game and I think the only time I've been wetter was in a swimming pool! Good luck with the vending next year.

Honest opinion, I don't like it. Sporks remind me of cafeteria food and you DON'T want to be associated with that.

Back