Re-freezing

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Can you re-freeze meat...say you thaw out a pound of burger and decide not to use it, could it be thrown back into the freezer without any problems?

Can you re-freeze meat...say you thaw out a pound of burger and decide not to use it, could it be thrown back into the freezer without any problems?

Yes you can. Especially if the meat has not been sitting at room temp for a long time. If it is still cold, throw it back in. No harm done, except for a slight loss of quality. When you defrost it second time, it will lose a little more moisture.

I think I just read something the other day. If there is still ice crystals in the meat or if it feels" refrigerater" cold then your ok. If it's warmed up to 40 + deg. it has harmfull bacteria and should not be refrozen.
ModelMaker

I did once. Mixed it up for use at a later date then re froze it. It was a little dry and I used ground chuck to start. I wouldn't do it again. It started to turn grey and not pink like the fresh stuff I had.

What everybody else said.
Read an article in Cooks Illustrated that basically said you are going to experience some moisture loss, but that you can indeed refreeze meat.
That being said, I would just cook it up with some taco seasoning and then freeze it for later use.

Hey Jay this is Q-talk.
Your brain is ok
Of course...the mod that moved the thread did not remove my brain fart post! I'm sure this confirms what most here think anyway.......Jay is nuts....just a few to many times getting lit up:shock: :biggrin:

I have always heard you can,given what the Brothers have already said. Myself having food poisoning some 24 years ago which by the grace of my Lord I survived. 12 days in the hospital. This was from mishandled meat(beef). So as a result I pay the cost to assure I always get fresh meat and I freeze myself. If I thaw it I cook it. Now I do refreeze after cooking but I never do this with raw meat once it's thawed. This is just me.

No. If you have thawed it out you should not refreeze. You'll end up with one dicky tummy....

....now wheres Joe got to?

Back