• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st brisket, flat from sams club, how long?

mschrock

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out when I need to put a 6.5 lb sams club brisket flat on the UDS. I spent the evening searching the forums, but have found it very difficult to get relevant search results.

I have found a couple partially helpful posts, saying that the flat is less forgiving, and that it cooks quicker, but no where have I seen hard numbers.

If I want to serve it at 5:00 PM, and smoke it at ~225F - 250F when should I start?

Thanks,

Marlin

On AVERAGE, about 70 minutes a pound. But every piece of meat is different. The best bet is just put it on first thing in the morning. It'll probably be done in 7 - 8 hours. Pull and foil it, wrap in a beach towel (in a pan first to catch the juices) and put in a cooler. Hours later it will STILL be too hot to handle. Pull out, unwrap and slice.

On AVERAGE, about 70 minutes a pound. But every piece of meat is different. The best bet is just put it on first thing in the morning. It'll probably be done in 7 - 8 hours. Pull and foil it, wrap in a beach towel (in a pan first to catch the juices) and put in a cooler. Hours later it will STILL be too hot to handle. Pull out, unwrap and slice.
Yep, that is about as good advise as you will get. Most bbq isn't an exact time and/or temp like a lot of recipes. This will certainly get close. Don't worry about being in the cooler for several hours as it will be fine if it is two hours or even four or five hours. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Did my first brisket (flat only) a little while back. 70 mins a pound is a good ave. but, it's done when it's done, as everyone says. Had mine in the cooler for about 3 hours before we were ready to eat and it was still hot and juicy. Post pics of the cook and finished Q.

Considering the time/temp loss adding fuel brings to the table, I plan on 1.5 hours per pound. Doin brisket today too. Put mine on (about 7 lbs) @ 9am - plan on it being done around 7 pm @ 235 degrees.

Exactly why I keep coming back to the brethren.... you keep on learning more and more about meat, cooking techniques, and how to make just plain good Q.
Thanks Brethren!

Well, got off to a late start, but the thickest part just hit 160F. I wrapped it in foil. UDS is hanging on to 280F since opening and foiling. I guess now its a waiting game...

Thanks for all the input. Makes me feel much more confident about doing something like this!

Last edited:
I'm plateauing @ 185 degrees, myself. Lookin like a 7 PM finish @ 205 degrees was right on for me.

1rst Briskets 14hrs

I fell a sleep doing my first briskets :doh: good thing I gave my wife instructions on how to use the smoker I think it was 14 hours without foiling.

I fell a sleep doing my first briskets :doh: good thing I gave my wife instructions on how to use the smoker I think it was 14 hours without foiling.

Some pieces of meat are stubborn like that. Good training for the wife.

All-in-all it was a success. I will try to do better next time, however. I had a few issues with temperature control. I thought it was a tiny bit on the dry side, however it was nice and tender.

I do have a couple questions, though. I smoked it fat side down, and just before slicing it, I removed the fat. When I sliced it, there was a nice smoke ring on the meat side, but none on the fat side. Is this normal?

Also it looked like there was part of the point attached, I removed it before slicing, and saved it for later. At least I assume it was part of the point, as it has a completely different texture and was more fatty. Looking at that, I think, I will seek out a packer next time.

As for pics, I completely forgot. However, after I vacuum sealed the very small amount of left overs, I did snap a quick one with my cellphone showing the "half" smoke ring.

Photo1crop.jpg

I thought it would be proper to reply back to this topic with the following:

A couple days ago I picked up an usda select packer brisket from walmart. I figured that it would be my next victim. I just pulled it off the smoker 13 hours, OMG. I will never do another flat only again! I will never foil again!

0f5cb8da.jpg

eec49501.jpg

Closeup of flat and point junction.

19bb0118.jpg

This is the point section, the fat cap was crisp and rendered down. Last time in the foil the fat on the flat didn't as much.

Looks good :thumb: Now cube that point and make some burnt ends while you slice up that flat and take some tasty pics for us.

Back