MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

Default New to charcoal grilling/smoking

*FIRST POST*

So last summer my cheap gasser finally rusted out. I got about 8 years out of it. I grew up grilling with gas so that's all I know. After the gasser was done, I made the decision to start looking at charcoal. After many months of searching for something under $200 I came across a Char-Griller Outlaw brand new at a local auction. I got it for $65 after tax and fees. So the price was far less than my budget, lol. After doing a lot of reading on a few forums I understand it's not the "best" grill/smoker around, but I'm excited about it and for the price I think it was worth it.

I guess my first question on the grill is, I see lots of mods but all of them seem to be for char-grillers that have the side fire box. Mine does not have the fire box (though I may add one down the road), are any of the mods neccessary for grills without the sfb?

For curing/seasoning the grill, should I just follow the manufacturer's instructions or is there a "better" way to do it or any added tips? My wife went out and bought some "instant light" charcoal. I didn't ask her to buy it she just did it. Can I just use that to season the grill or should I return it for something else. She did buy a charcoal chimney as well, which I wanted, but I know not to use the instant light charcoal in it.

Any other suggestions for what I should do to the grill prior to putting food on? Although the grill is "new", it was assembled and obviously sat around for a while. There are some chips in the paint and a few spots of rust starting on the inside. I'm thinking of getting some high temp paint and touching it up the outside and sanding off the rust on the inside before I start it up for the first time.

Being completely new to "real" BBQ, I'm sure I'll be asking a ton of questions, but this is all for now.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grill1.jpg (52.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Grill2.jpg (60.9 KB, 139 views)
El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the Brethren!

Learn how to set up the cooker for indirect heat (build the fire on one side & cook on the other. Chris Lilly has a book "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book" that describes and shows photos of how to set this type of cooker up.

Three options: Direct Heat, Indirect (banked charcoal), Bypass method (slow burn from one end to the other). This cooker works well once these techniques are understood.

Good Luck!

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the Brethren and congrats on your new grill! This is a great forum and is like crack. You'll keep comin' back for more.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

I have an old Brinkmann barrel grill that I use for indirect, just like Oakpit suggests and it works great. I also have a Char-Griller that I added the side fire box. The SFB is not necessary, but with a SFB you're not opening the actual grill/cooking area when you need to add charcoal (and lose your heat). I bought it new at Lowes for $59, but I've seen them for less on Craigslist (sometimes less with the entire grill!).

As far as mods, you'll learn a lot from some of the more "seasoned" brethren members (couldn't help that one)...I added a tuning plate inside my cooking chamber, essentially a piece of sheet metal over the opening angled down to direct heat through the bottom/entire length of the cook chamber. I also got a piece of sheet metal tubing that I attached to the inside of the exhaust chimney going into the smoke chamber. It extends down to just above grate level. This apparently causes the majority of your heat to run across the grates, where your food is, rather than go straight to the top of your smoke chamber and right out the exhaust. I know there are pics of this somewhere.

The other thing you may want to do is get a stove gasket and/or some Permatex high heat silicone and seal the lid to reduce the amount of air gaps. Helps control temps and keeps the smoke where it needs to be...on the meat.

Good luck!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

All the tips that you have gotten are spot on, the only additional thing is get a good teltru thermometer and mount it at grate level on the lid. Also, the purchase of the sfb will allow you to do lo-n-slo cooks which you will want to do sooner than later. Good Luck and welcome to the addiction.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

For seasoning, I would spray the inside with a cooking spray (pam) open your vents all the way, light your charcoal and get the temp up to 300 - 400 for 2 hrs, then you should see a nice black coating on the inside of the grill, that means it's seasoned. I don't know if the instant light that you have will work but I know lump charcoal will get plenty hot for this. You might need 8-10 lbs to keep burning for 2 hrs at that temp.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

I had one of those but with the side firebox and I loved it. Even though I had the firebox I almost never used it.

I could cook some of the best chicken/tri tip on that thing But I didn't use charcoal usually just oak wood.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
El Scorcho
Got Wood.

Cooking with wood, I didn't think about that. Man I have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the tips so far everyone.
El Scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Cooking with wood, I didn't think about that. Man I have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

You will if you hang around for a bit!
Phill your tummy,grab a drink and soak up the info that's Phloating around here.

Welcome!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

There's lots of ways to properly season. Based on what I've read from others, I just got my grill going to over 400, and threw a bunch of bacon the grill (someone else's idea). You can spray cooking oil...but mmmm, the bacon smells way better! Once it's "cooked/burned", the grill should be seasoned.

I'm not sure the insta-light charcoal is worth using, since I'm presuming it may give off certain gas odors (ahem...Matchlight?)...if you want to just use it to get rid of it, I'd light it in the chimney starter and wait until it's ashen and glowing. I'm only guessing but I think that would eliminate any chemical odor...can anyone else chime in on this?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

a couple of butts,a couple of fatties,& a bag of chix 1/4's will season that thing up in no time.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
frugalsob
On the road to being a farker

Welcome to the Brethren!

I too have a CG, and I LOVE it. Don't get me wrong I'd love a new KP, but the CG is WAY more economical. I used mine for a long time without the SFB, and like inv3ctiv3 said, you can grill get some great tasting food off them.

I seasoned mine with peanut oil and high temps from lump and wood. The peanut oil has a much higher flash point. Plus, I don't know if it's from the oil or the wood, but the interior of mine didn't turn black, it was more of a mahogany color.

One thing I can say about this site, there isn't a lack of knowledge. I've learned a TON from the guys and gals here, but I too, have a lot more to learn.

My biggest hurdle was learning all the abbreviations they use! HA!~ If you haven't already been there, this may help... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=70858

Old 03-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't have that cooker and haven't actually had to season one of mine as I got them used and my UDS is SS but.....

Unless I'm wrong, the only reason to season the cooker is to prevent rust. That said, all you really need to season it is some fat (oil, shortening, grease, etc) to coat the inside of the cooker and HEAT to seal it to the cooker. I can't imagine why the Matchlight wouldn't work. Matchlight is basically (unless I'm wrong) is just charcoal soaked with starter fluid. That should at least supply the heat to do the trick.

There are many competition cooks who start their fire every time with starter fluid. They just let it burn off before adding meat to the cooker.

Coat it, light it, burn it and Q away!!!

Welcome!!! THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!