Catering for 85- NEED HELP PLEASE

WSM2

Reaction score
'm very new to this catering and was asked by a group at church to cater for 85 people for our upcoming Christmas party. I need help in determining how much to cook.

There will be about 55 guys and 35 gals.

They want BRISKET AND CHICKEN and coleslaw and bbq baked beans.

How much of each should I prepare?

They said they are wanting to keep costs around $8 per person.

Thank you.

85 lbs of raw weight brisket, depending on chicken cut, one piece per person, and two trays of the sides each.

85 lbs of raw weight brisket, depending on chicken cut, one piece per person, and two trays of the sides each.

Thank you. I was thinking of just doing thighs... as those are typically the easiest portion wise.

'm very new to this catering and was asked by a group at church to cater for 85 people for our upcoming Christmas party. I need help in determining how much to cook.

There will be about 55 guys and 35 gals.

55 guys + 35 gals does not add up to 85.

Who will be providing the plates, napkins, plasticware, BBQ sauce, serving utensils, etc?

Just a quick figure of 25 lbs of brisket, 90 thigh leg quarters, 2 sides each, and buns comes up to about $900.

$8/person is not reasonable.

You are basically donating your time and materials.

I think you guys may be a bit over harsh on this. He's obviously not in this as a business and even with those numbers, you're looking at a cost of under $400 to do it with $680 coming in. For a first time gig.. for a church group that he looks like he belongs to, it's not a horrible deal.
Someone just trying to get their feet wet and at the same time trying to do someone a favor doesn't need to make 200% profit right out of the gate.

We've done similar deals for folks when we were first getting started. My real concern would be the ability for someone just starting out being able to safely cook for and serve that many people.

Be very careful here if you plan to grow this into a business. Your reputation and pricing will follow you, and if you EVER want to be legitimate, you will need to cover taxes, equipment depreciation, insurance, permits, vehicles, bulding, etc. I have no issues with doing the church event for free, just don't delude yourself into thinking mark-up on food equals profit. We sell "6 figures +" in catering a year and have $200,000 invested in equipment and our shop, so I like to think I have a valid perspective. Have fun and grab all you can carry, just know where you are headed.

Back