Perfected Methods

tjus77

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
After reading some post from Ron and others, I was wondering, just how many of you have perfected you method of cooking your brisket and don't dare try anything different? And how long did it take to get there?

I've been cooking brisket at home for 15 years and finally came up with the perfect method (for me and my friends and family). I am my own worst critic, my family says it's great all the time, but the last two cooks I have to say, this is what I've been looking for! Tender, juicy, just the pefect smoke.

I found some cherry wood down here, but didn't pull the trigger since it was kinda expensive, but I think I still want to try it next cook (didn't I just say I was through experimenting?)

You have reached BBQ Nirvana !!!!

I think I've perfected my brisket technique (temps, wood, foil, cooler time etc) after a few years of constant experimenting from others ideas here. I also have my "go-to" recipe for contests, but it's still fun to tweak some flavors and try new rubs when cooking at home to keep it interesting.

I remember the first brisket I ever cooked. It was horrible in retrospect but at the time I convinced myself that it was better than any brisket I'd ever eaten at any BBQ joint I had been to. Funny what time will do.

I would be very interested in your technique. I happen to have all the cherry wood and apple wood I can find. (Flathead Valley in MT is full of cherry orchards).

i envy you... i'm still fumbling around... but now that i found the brethren.. that should all change.

First brisket i ever smoked in 1990... i sliced it up at 10pm and it was "rare" in the middle.. LOL.. man i'm glad i can laugh now.. back then i had 10 ppl standing behind me that had been waiting all day for their brisket... it was truely a nightmare.

could you just condense your 15 yr experience down to one ... enlightened, profound, inspireing paragraph.. and share your secrect O great and wise one?

Now that I have my method, I haven't changed anything in 2 years.

I'd like to forget all the mistakes my poor dog had to eat.:redface: Then an older gentleman took pity on me and showed me the light and have been doing them the same way for many years now.:-D Some times I do like to experiment with different rubs and woods, but the technique is still the same.:-D

I'm to the point that I can consistently turn out good brisket, pulled pork and ribs but I like experimenting with different wood combos, rubs etc. I'd hate to get to the point of simply repeating the exact same method over and over.

Smoking brisket reminds me of dating........Before hand, big plans and know exactly how the night should proceed. During the night, things are right on schedule and looking good. Then, more times than not, at the end the final results fall short of expectation.........dang it. :cry:

And then sometimes, no expectations, things never go to plan but the final resuts........one of the best pieces you ever had! :biggrin:

go figure.........

Was listening to an interview online no too long a go and a guy said something that i have to agree with-I am not real sure what a great brisket is supposed to taste like.

Was listening to an interview online no too long a go and a guy said something that i have to agree with-I am not real sure what a great brisket is supposed to taste like.
I love that quote!! LOl P.S. Guy give us some of your receipes for brisket.

I cook by feel and touch more than temp. When the brisket starts feeling loose, I take a probe and insert. Depending on how easy it goes in I either wrap and cook a little longer or wrap and cooler. If I cook a little longer I'll watch the temp to about 180 then cooler.

Red oak is my main wood, and a little mesquite or pecan mixed in. Want to try apple and cherry to see if it changes things. I only trim and rub the bottom (I've heard seasoning doesn't get through the fat and have found it to be true).

Things I've tried but didn't see enough improvement to keep (just my opinion)

Injecting and marinading (every bite doesn't taste the same... some have great flavor, then the next is naked), I am from the old school that the wood gives it all the flavor (i feel the same way about steaks).

Trimming the top part (dried out too much).

Fat cap down (use only if I have to stuff the pit, the one closest to the fire)

The real secret is keep trying till you find the right combo that pleases your taste buds.

Back