The Brisket Chronicles - Part II

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm back again with another brisket test!

This time it's UDS vs. Spicewine...the battle for brisket supremacy!!

Ok I get a little dramatic at times. This is just a comparison to determine if the different smokers turn out different briskets.

Let's start with the UDS. Just in case you have been living under a rock for the past 5 years, a UDS is an Ugly Drum Smoker made from a metal barrel. I cooked two briskets in the UDS with my normal rub and a minimal trim. I cooked them fat side down because in order to protect the briskets from the direct heat of the fire.

SDC10298.jpg

SDC10297.jpg

The briskets cooked at 250 degrees or there about and were taken from the smoker when and ice pick went in with no resistance. They were then wrapped in plastic wrap and foil with some beef broth and rested for several hours.

The briskets cooked in the Spicewine were given the exact same treatment.

SDC10299.jpg

SDC10300.jpg

Here are the results:

The UDS briskets had a more smokey flavor and the fat on the bottom of the slices were crisper and more flavorful. The side and the tip ends were overcooked and kind of crumbly but I had several customers tell me they liked the crispy bits.

SDC10304.jpg

The Spicewine briskets were more juicy and had a meatier flavor. The slices held together better and they had a kind of "cush" texture when you bit them. Comments from customers were "it's like butter" and "it just melts in your mouth".

SDC10303.jpg

SDC10301.jpg

Overall, I don't think that there was enough of a difference to make get rid of one and use the other exclusively because they both turned out darned good brisket.

Now where is the white bread and jalapenos?

Thanks for the information and continuing experiments Bigmista, since I am still working on getting good with brisket, I like (need) this kind of information.

Big Mista's experience is highly unscientific. Plus its conclusions are inaccurate.

This just in from Popdaddy who just called me on the bagphone.

"The Fat Down Method is so superior that the only way a proper comparison could be made with fat up is if the two briskets are in the EXACT same smoking apparatus yet in different counties. The Fat Up technique is so superior that any brisket next to it in the wrong position WITHIN 20 - 30 Miles will suck part of the life from the properly positioned one. This gives the false impression that they are equal. This was known for years as the "Stax Paralax Pardox," also known as the Philly Soul Syndrome."

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Mista's experience is highly unscientific. Plus its conclusions are inaccurate.

This just in from Popdaddy who just called me on the bagphone.

"The Fat Down Method is no superior that the only way a proper comparison could be made with fat up is if the two briskets are in the EXACT same smoking apparatus yet in different counties. The Fat Up technique is so superior that any brisket next to it in the wrong position WITHIN 20 - 30 Miles will suck part of the life from the properly positioned one. This gives the false impression that they are equal. This was known for years as the "Stax Paralax Pardox," also known as the Philly Soul Syndrome."

sniffingglue.jpg

Hitting the glue again?

Look, i just answer the phone and write what he tells me to write. If anyone else could hear him I'd glady give them the job.

More moisture/vapor retained in the Spice thus resulting in the brisket texture as described. More of a direct heat in UDS thus less moisture /vapor retained which kept the briskets texture as described. Is it not possible?

They both look great Mista..

proof that more often that not it's cook.. not the cooker.

Outstanding job.. time to raise your prices !!!

Look, i just answer the phone and write what he tells me to write. If anyone else could hear him I'd glady give them the job.

:biggrin::tongue:

Schizophrenia

What is Schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe, and disabling brain disorder that affects about 1.1 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year. People with schizophrenia sometimes hear voices others don’t hear, believe that others are broadcasting their thoughts to the world.

:biggrin::tongue:

Schizophrenia

What is Schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe, and disabling brain disorder that affects about 1.1 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year. People with schizophrenia sometimes hear voices others don’t hear, believe that others are broadcasting their thoughts to the world.

Maybe when the batteries die in this phone I won't have to answer the calls, Rosco. Boy they made great batteries in these bagphones back in the early 1990's. This original battery is still holding its charge. Plus it was fully charged when it rang the first time at that New Orleans Good Will I picked it up at.

Back