MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #61
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
I use the Steve Raichlen gloves too for taking hot meat off the grill.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #62
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek2000 View Post
Thanks for all of the good info guys. I pulled the trigger on a 22.5" WSM. Another q though, What is everyone using to pick up their meat when in the smoker? Gloves, Bear Paws, etc...
I think that was a good choice. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to use, and produce great Q. I have both the 18.5" and the 22.5" WSMs, and definitely prefer the 22.5". Much easier to fit ribs and briskets on.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #63
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
I use the Steve Raichlen gloves too for taking hot meat off the grill.
I use the gloves too, but also WITH the paws to lift pork butts off my WSM. The claws dip between the grates and under the butts to give me a better lift with LESS chance of "butt drop".

Now, as far as the paws go for their intended purpose.....haven't used them more than twice when I had more than 5 butts worth of bbq to shred fast.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #64
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Usually my hands, but im a mechanic by trade my mits are built into my hands, i have a pair of insulated food gloves for pulling meat apart though. Bear claws would work exept if you had foiled products on there you would tear through it and have jusces everywhere

Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #65
Smokebloke
Got rid of the matchlight.

you guys are really making me want that WSM 22.5! I'm just not sure if i will be able to tend to it. i mean i am a complete noob when it comes to smoking… i do like to do things the right way first time around, so I'm worried if i do go with a gas and never learn to burn the sticks then ill be lacking in my skills down the line. i am super glad i found this forum though and registered.. i can tell i will learn a lot!
Smokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #66
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokebloke View Post
you guys are really making me want that WSM 22.5! I'm just not sure if i will be able to tend to it. i mean i am a complete noob when it comes to smoking… i do like to do things the right way first time around, so I'm worried if i do go with a gas and never learn to burn the sticks then ill be lacking in my skills down the line. i am super glad i found this forum though and registered.. i can tell i will learn a lot!
Go with the WSM. You wont regret it after you taste the food from it. Once you get the hang of it you will never look at gas again
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #67
eddiek2000
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am jonsing to get this thing. Planning on a break in smoke on Weds and smoke some beer can chicken on Thursday and maybe some ribs next weekend. It's gonna be fun!!
eddiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #68
Norm62
Got Wood.

Quote:
Just get it! There's nothing that the Brethren can't talk you through. The WSM makes it easy. I wasted way too much time worrying about getting it right when I should have been cooking! All the info you'll ever need is here. There are a ton of videos on YouTube as well.

Just follow Ron's advice here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

And use the Roadmap to read up a bit on what you're cooking...*

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

Get a Maverick 733 and start cooking! Ive got less than 10 cooks experience on my WSM and on my last few, my tools of choice were The WSM, my Lazyboy, a 6 pack, my iPad opened to this forum and my Maverick remote!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #69
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm62 View Post
Just get it! There's nothing that the Brethren can't talk you through. The WSM makes it easy. I wasted way too much time worrying about getting it right when I should have been cooking! All the info you'll ever need is here. There are a ton of videos on YouTube as well.

Just follow Ron's advice here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=10

And use the Roadmap to read up a bit on what you're cooking...*

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

Get a Maverick 733 and start cooking! Ive got less than 10 cooks experience on my WSM and on my last few, my tools of choice were The WSM, my Lazyboy, a 6 pack, my iPad opened to this forum and my Maverick remote!
Great advice. Exactly what my plan is. I just need to modify my WSM, when it arrives, to have holes for the probes.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #70
eddiek2000

Quote:
Do it. Do it. Just do it. (al la Ben Stiller in Starsky & Hutch)

They convinced me. I know I really enjoy a burger cooked on charcoal vs gas. Smoking brings it to the next level.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #71
lantern
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I am jonsing to get this thing. Planning on a break in smoke on Weds and smoke some beer can chicken on Thursday and maybe some ribs next weekend. It's gonna be fun!!
The number one skill is patience IMO. When you get your new WSM it'll be VERY hard to wait till she's ready for you to put the food on, but you MUST wait till the white smoke settles and you have a thin blue smoke that barely visible.

Only reason I'm harping on it right now before you even have your new toy is that you said you were making chicken. And brother if there's one thing you'll learn is that chicken and other birds take smoke VERY easily. If you lay the white smoke to your bird you won't be as happy as you'd have been if you put it on after the smoker had settled in.
lantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #72
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

If you get a stickburner, get this... http://www.nodoz.com/index.shtml
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #73
Know Bull
On the road to being a farker

I have purchased and given away numerous cheap smokers. When I buy cheap, I am never happy with how the cooker works. I finally learned my lesson and now just bite the bullet and purchase quality. It is cheaper to buy a good cooker than 2 or 3 cheap ones. (But now I have 6 cookers and love each and every one).

I know it is above your stated price range, but you should consider a Cookshack electric smoker. They are outstanding quality. Best feature is the insulation, giving you a more constant cooking temperature and a cooker that you can still use in the dead of winter.

I just looked at a Masterbuilt yesterday, and laughed out loud. The quality of that thing was a small fraction of my 20 year old Cookshack (only replaced a thermostat in all that time).

30 day money back guarantee. If you do not like it for ANY reason, send it back for a full refund.

But be careful. You will be so successful at creating quality Q that the next thing you know you are going to be buying another cooker to compete with....

Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #74
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Quote:
Great advice. Exactly what my plan is. I just need to modify my WSM, when it arrives, to have holes for the probes.
Eddie,

If you are buying new, they should have the rubber boot to allow you to push through multiple probes. It has a single hole at the top that someone here taught me to just push my pit temp probe into. Below that is a slotted line that I push my meat temp probe and my Pitmaster IQ120 probes through if I am using them.

Quote:
I bought the latch you referenced, but have not been able to figure out how to put it together. It does not come with instructions, and I am not very mechanically inclined.
AG76, look at page 6 and 9 of the attached PDF. If you need any more help, let me know...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BBQ Compression Latch 62-30-15.pdf (2.62 MB, 8 views)

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #75
eddiek2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Eddie,

If you are buying new, they should have the rubber boot to allow you to push through multiple probes. It has a single hole at the top that someone here taught me to just push my pit temp probe into. Below that is a slotted line that I push my meat temp probe and my Pitmaster IQ120 probes through if I am using them.

AG76, look at page 6 and 9 of the attached PDF. If you need any more help, let me know...
Wish I saw this earlier as I just bought the parts for 2 feed throughs. Oh well, the parts were cheap enough and will just added to my parts bin.